Official GIGABYTE Forum

No POST with new 970A-UD3

No POST with new 970A-UD3
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »
Building a new lab computer.  I'm no hardware whiz, though I've built about a dozen machines including the two I currently have in my lab. 

Computer has:
-AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+
-Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W PSU
-G.SKILL Sniper Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (16 GB total)

Computer will power on complete with PSU fan, CPU heatsink fank, and case fans.  I receive no display and no beep codes.  If I remove the CPU the results are exactly the same, which leads me to believe either the CPU is bad or the socket is having issues.  I see no physical damage on the CPU (e.g. cracks or bent pins).

I've pretty much all peripheral components (e.g. HDD and DVD) unplugged.  I don't have much in the way of equivalent components to test in that I don't have another AM3+ board or CPU.  I did take a known working AMD Phenom II and stick it in the board with the same result.  I can also try out another CPU later today to verify the CPU is getting power. 

Any other suggestions before I start returning parts?

Thanks!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: No POST with new 970A-UD3
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 03:33:47 pm »
Hi thee,

you probably need to update the BIOS before it will recognise the CPU and you will need a supported processor to do this. Check here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3907 for supported processors and here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907&dl=1# for the latest BIOS.

I would recommend updating the BIOS using the QFlash Utility.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 03:34:42 pm »
I'll add that I do have the 24 plug and 12 volt power connectors plugged in.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:37 pm »
Hi thee,

you probably need to update the BIOS before it will recognise the CPU and you will need a supported processor to do this. Check here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3907 for supported processors and here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907&dl=1# for the latest BIOS.

I would recommend updating the BIOS using the QFlash Utility.

My CPU is listed as supported:

AMD   FX-6100   3300MHz   1MBx6   8MB   Bulldozer   32nm   B2   95W   5200

I've also tried an older Phenom II (an X4 945 I believe) with the same results.

I can't update the BIOS if I can't POST (at least I don't think I can).

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »
You are right, you can't update the BIOS unless you can get it to POST properly, hence the idea of trying a different CPU.

Do you have a motherboard speaker installed to hear any POST Beeps?

Have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM on board?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »
You are right, you can't update the BIOS unless you can get it to POST properly, hence the idea of trying a different CPU.

Do you have a motherboard speaker installed to hear any POST Beeps?

Have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM on board?

I do have a motherboard speaker installed.  I've also tried one stick, two sticks, and four sticks.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 03:51:10 pm »
Sorry still more questions I'm afraid.

What Graphics Card are you using?
Have you tried putting the basic components together outside of the PC case to make sure you haven't got a short?

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:44 pm »
Sorry still more questions I'm afraid.

What Graphics Card are you using?
Have you tried putting the basic components together outside of the PC case to make sure you haven't got a short?

Graphics card is a MSI N210-D512D2 GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16.  I've tried the VGA and HDMI connectors.  I've also tried booting without the graphics card installed hoping for a graphics beep error code, though no luck there either.

I do have the board assembled outside of the case.  Just finished that and tested as well with the same results.   :(

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:10:04 pm by amichaell »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »
You're not having much fun here, are you!  :'(

I don't know why you're not getting any POST beeps and it would be worthwhile checking that a: the speaker is working and b: that it is connected properly, try swapping the polarity just to make sure that isn't causing the lack of sound.

You shouldn't have to do this but it might also be worth clearing the CMOS just in case there's a problem there.

Is the PSU new? If possible try a different one just to eliminate this as a possible cause.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:31:39 pm »
You're not having much fun here, are you!  :'(

hah!  Not at all.  Worst part is that the parts arrived on Monday and I was out of town all week.  I was glad to get home in anticipation of slapping it together to get my new lab XenServer host up.  But it's all good. 

I don't know why you're not getting any POST beeps and it would be worthwhile checking that a: the speaker is working and b: that it is connected properly, try swapping the polarity just to make sure that isn't causing the lack of sound.

I tried swapping the polarity on the sound with the same results.  The speaker connector is one of those that hangs loose...it isn't fixed to the case.  Not sure what it is called.

You shouldn't have to do this but it might also be worth clearing the CMOS just in case there's a problem there.

Is the PSU new? If possible try a different one just to eliminate this as a possible cause.

Didn't think about clearing CMOS.  I'll give that a shot.

The PSU is new.  I'll be trying an older PSU a bit later.  The older PSU is only about eight months old.  I want to say it is around 700 watts, so it should work as well.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »
OK, so I've tried a different PSU making sure the 24 pin and 12 volt connector were both connected.  I've also cleared the CMOS ensuring the jumper is removed afterward before powering on.  I've also tried some DDR3 1333 RAM.  All of this is with the older Phenom X4 945 CPU.  Still no luck.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 08:45:44 pm »
I had the exact same problem as you when I bought the GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0) with a AMD X6 cpu. So, this is what happen to me. I setup all the parts in the case. Turn on the PC and the CPU and DDR3 were all detected fine. The mobo came up with bios F3. I then proceed to install Windows 7 and thats when I noticed the 1st problem. The system appeared to reboot except it never went to POST just stayed at a black screen. NOT a GOOD sign!!. So, I pwr off the system and restart. Again, it APPEARED to be working fine, started Windows 7 install again. 2nd time around Windows 7 installed fine I managed to install all of the mobo drivers for Sound, Lan, chipset, and USB. Just before I was getting ready to actually use the PC it LOCKS UP at the Winodws Log-on screen. It never booted again! After this the PC would lock up at the BIOS flash screen IF IT EVEN POST AT ALL. I thought maybe the DDR3 could be bad to I removed 1 and nothing, then the other same thing. I cleared the CMOS and this would sometimes allow the BIOS screen to flash for about 3 seconds and then just lock up again. Not wanting to give up I went to a local store and bought different DDR3....still the same problem. I tear the system down to the basic components: CPU, DDR3, and Video (Radeon HD 6870)....samething, no sound, no video,nothing..dead dead dead. I didnt have a second system so I could isolate the problem to either the MOBO or the CPU so long story short RMA THE CPU AND MOBO to Newegg. 2nd system from Newegg works right out of the box...as it should have to begin with.

PS. I am using the same CPU cooler on the 2nd CPU as the 1st one: Hyper 212 Evo. my PSU is a 500W

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:31:56 am »
I had the exact same problem as you when I bought the GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.0) with a AMD X6 cpu. So, this is what happen to me. I setup all the parts in the case. Turn on the PC and the CPU and DDR3 were all detected fine. The mobo came up with bios F3. I then proceed to install Windows 7 and thats when I noticed the 1st problem. The system appeared to reboot except it never went to POST just stayed at a black screen. NOT a GOOD sign!!. So, I pwr off the system and restart. Again, it APPEARED to be working fine, started Windows 7 install again. 2nd time around Windows 7 installed fine I managed to install all of the mobo drivers for Sound, Lan, chipset, and USB. Just before I was getting ready to actually use the PC it LOCKS UP at the Winodws Log-on screen. It never booted again! After this the PC would lock up at the BIOS flash screen IF IT EVEN POST AT ALL. I thought maybe the DDR3 could be bad to I removed 1 and nothing, then the other same thing. I cleared the CMOS and this would sometimes allow the BIOS screen to flash for about 3 seconds and then just lock up again. Not wanting to give up I went to a local store and bought different DDR3....still the same problem. I tear the system down to the basic components: CPU, DDR3, and Video (Radeon HD 6870)....samething, no sound, no video,nothing..dead dead dead. I didnt have a second system so I could isolate the problem to either the MOBO or the CPU so long story short RMA THE CPU AND MOBO to Newegg. 2nd system from Newegg works right out of the box...as it should have to begin with.

PS. I am using the same CPU cooler on the 2nd CPU as the 1st one: Hyper 212 Evo. my PSU is a 500W

That's my issue.  I *think* it is the mobo, but it could be the CPU.  I did buy from NewEgg.  Did they have any problems taking back both parts?