Official GIGABYTE Forum

Ram in slot 1 and 2(correct for 990FXA-UD3)but shows as being in Dimm3 and 4?

I put two sticks of ram in the right slots on this board but in any software that shows what is installed and where, it shows as being in Dimm 3 and Dimm 4.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

which revision of the motherboard are you running?

Did you set-up the memory according to the user's manual? If yes, check the numbering of the DDR3 slots on the motherboard because looking at the images on the download page here:  http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#ov it would seem as if the slots are laid out differently to those stated in it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi there,

which revision of the motherboard are you running?

Did you set-up the memory according to the user's manual? If yes, check the numbering of the DDR3 slots on the motherboard because looking at the images on the download page here:  http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#ov it would seem as if the slots are laid out differently to those stated in it.

Yep, set it up as the manual says.
Slot 1 and 2 as numbered on the board.
Have revision 1.0 board

absic

• Bandcamp
OK, looking at the image on the download page (that's all I've got to go by) Slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 are the two slots nearest the CPU. If your RAM Modules are in these then either the numbering on the motherboard is incorrect or the way that the software is reporting them is at fault.

Are you running the F5 BIOS?  If yes, does it report the memory modules in correct slot if you use earlier F4 BIOS?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

OK, looking at the image on the download page (that's all I've got to go by) Slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 are the two slots nearest the CPU. If your RAM Modules are in these then either the numbering on the motherboard is incorrect or the way that the software is reporting them is at fault.

Are you running the F5 BIOS?  If yes, does it report the memory modules in correct slot if you use earlier F4 BIOS?

F5 Bios....
All bios from very first one for the board report correct slots........
Had a look at latest revision board and that has same numbering.
Bit strange if every bit of software sees ram in wrong slots..........
CPU-Z even shows ram as being in slot 3 and 4
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:51:06 am by musicman53 »

absic

• Bandcamp
Well, I'm out of ideas.

If BIOS is showing the RAM as being in Slots DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 then logically there must be a communication error between the way BIOS is reading the RAM configuration and the way the software is reading it. As to why this is happening I haven't a clue and you had better ask Gigabyte Tech Support to see if they can offer a reason.

Well, I'm out of ideas.

If BIOS is showing the RAM as being in Slots DDR3_1 & DDR3_2 then logically there must be a communication error between the way BIOS is reading the RAM configuration and the way the software is reading it. As to why this is happening I haven't a clue and you had better ask Gigabyte Tech Support to see if they can offer a reason.
Just looked at the motherboard photo's on Gigabyte site.
Rev0.1 shows (looking at ram order from CPU end) DDR3_1
                                                                                  DDR3_2
                                                                                  DDR3_3
                                                                                  DDR3_4
Rev 1.2 photo shows

DDR3_4
DDR3_2

DDR3_3
DDR3_1
someone messed up somewhere

absic

• Bandcamp
As you say, take a closer look at the picture for Rev1.0 and you'll see it's actually a Rev 0.1! Yep someone dropped a doo doo there.  :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:35:45 am by absic »

klh591

I have all three revisions of the 990FXA-UD3 board and ALLl three of mine are  from closest to CPU  to front   3-4
                                                                                                                                                                               3-2
                                                                                                                                                                               3-3
                                                                                                                                                                               3-1

and they ALL show up correctly in hardware AND software.

I have all three revisions of the 990FXA-UD3 board and ALLl three of mine are  from closest to CPU  to front   3-4
                                                                                                                                                                               3-2
                                                                                                                                                                               3-3
                                                                                                                                                                               3-1

and they ALL show up correctly in hardware AND software.
Well I have seen revision 1.0(on the board it says 0.1)that have Ram slots 3_1, 3_2, 3_3, 3_4 in that order.
I am wondering why every hardware monitoring software shows ram as being in DIMM3 AND DIMM4.
Swapped ram around into what is marked DIMM3_3 and DIMM3_4 and now software shows ram as being in ram1 and ram2
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:36:34 pm by musicman53 »

GunHo

My new GA-970a-ud3 seems to have the same problem. I put the 2 ram sticks in slots ddr3_1 and ddr3_2 - unganged (slot 4 is under the cpu heatsink)
CPU-Z (rev. 1.58)says ram is in slots 3 and 4, AMD overdrive says ram is in slots 3 and 4.  Mobo is rev 1.0
I've not had any problems though, just wondering if our problem is the same.

AMD 945 (95 watt)
GA-970a-ud3
2x4 gig Kingston black edition ddr 1600 (running at 1333  @ 8 8 8 24 1t)
Asus 6850  1 gig
WD blue 1 terrabyte

GunHo

Oops  AMD overdrive say memory is in slots 2 and 3 ( not 3 and 4 like CPU-Z)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Recently Gigabyte has done an about face in the numbering of the motherboard memory slots. I suspect this was to give more room for the coolers. Anyway they now seem to number the slots from the outside of the board towards the CPU and not all manuals seem to be correct yet.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB