Official GIGABYTE Forum

Doubled the RAM and an old problem returns!

Searcher1

Re: Doubled the RAM and an old problem returns!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »
That's pretty warm do you run a stock cooler?
Also recheck all your voltage settings.

Ben.

Hi Ben

Yes, this was an Intel Retail package so using the stock HSF assembly.  The ambient room temp was tunning at just over 25degrees!

Just checked again and with room temp 23 the #0 care is showing max 55 so by comparison a lot better!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:18:45 pm by Searcher1 »

Searcher1

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »
I was still getting the odd random crash so I have increased the DDR voltage from 1.56 to 1.58 in the BIOS.

HW Monitor reports this as 1.57v compared to the 1.55v before so it looks like either HWM under reports or the BIOS under sets based on the chosen volatge???

However, hopefully this small incremental step will not compromise the life of the Memory Controller on the CPU?

TIA :)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 08:16:29 pm »
I can't see a small adjustment like that causing any long term damages and it is more important to keep the temperature down. That will do more damage than anything else.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »
Just wondering if you found an answer to your problem?  I am having the same random problem.  Sometimes I can go for 30 hours without an event and then I can get the event several times withing a few hours.  I have one stick 4GB PC3-10666 extreme performance in the computer.  Today I set bios dram voltage up to 1.55.  Stock was 1.50.

I have read so many, many internet examples of people having the same crash problems.

My computer just stops working.  Screen stays frozen with whatever was on it at the time of the event, clock stops, keyboard is not responsive, mouse is not responsive.

Re-installed WIN7

I have seen a lot of references about setting the voltage higher solved crash/freeze issues.  Did it work for your latest problem?

Hi All

Late last year I posted about how this PC repeatedly froze ~ Please see here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5073.30.html

Well as indicated in that thread the advice from DM and others especially lsdmeasap I got it under control........................yes it still happened but vary rarely by comparison.

Well I recently doubled the RAM from 8GB to 16GB with an exact repeat of the G-Skill RAM to avoid mixed compatibility issues, however I have now seen a return of the freeze events!!!!  They are not as frequent as at the beginning mentioned in the earlier thread linked above but are annoying :(

So rather than post to the old thread I thought it best to start afresh with the question:-

When doubling the RAM and getting the freeze event described on the face of it I clearly need to increase some voltage settings but which ones for appropriate effect and by how much?

Last time I made the vCore a fixed number  @ 1.22v and the DRAM voltage to 1.52v, so as the DRAM setting range is 1.50 to 1.55v   what voltage changes after doubling the RAM should I use now???  And should the vCore be altered in relationship to any further changes to the DRAM changes???

Many thanks in advance the feedback & insight :)

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:39 am »
Oh well, after something like 12 hours running with just a multi tabbed IE9 and Outlook open it froze again.

It does seem that upping the DRAM voltage to 1.56v with the added 8GB of RAM lengthened the period between lockups so if this is RAM voltage related just how far can I push it before risking damage to the RAM and other components???  Not sure but I think the figures above 1.56v were shwon in Purple in the BIOS settings screen.

TIA for the added feedback :)
Fully agree with him.