Official GIGABYTE Forum

z68xp-ud4 problems with gtx 460

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: z68xp-ud4 problems with gtx 460
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:27 am »

Thanks for the reads.......where actually here to help you........I own and use a 480 so I know how hungry they can be......the 460s power consumption is what it is......

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,review-31944-14.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/309-geforce-gtx-460-sli-performance/page9.html

All I'm trying to do is point out is with a 600W PSU the system is on a knife edge under load.....when and if a system/psu pops under an overdraw limit.....it usually take several other components with it.

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:16:14 am by Aussie Allan »
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

s3rg3y

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 05:22:36 pm »
Same problem here. (2012 July)

There are thousands of people with this problem and many many post all over about the issue.
Most about gtx460 but also other 400 and some 500 series GTX. Zannare describes classic symptoms.
Absolutely definitely not a PSU issue, please stop saying it might be!

I have:
GA-X58A-UD3R-Rev2.0
GA Geeforce GTX460 1GB
CORE i7-950/3.00GHz
Seasonic M12II-620 Watt
Patriot Viper2-Sector7 PV7312G2000ELK 12GBkit(4gbx3)
Inferno SSD Sata 60GB
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

I've been fighting with this problem on and off for months now.
1) Starts as random crashes (games browsing and even desktop) BSOD (blue or black screen) with auto reset or hard reset needed. Lost connection with graphics adapter sometimes displayed.
2) Sometimes it lead to cyclical crashes on windows login screen. (THAT'S WHEN YOU KNOW DOOM IS HERE)
3) After this PC may get into the habit of crash even in safe mode, in windows boot CD, and even bios.
4) After trying a million things it may fix itself and become stable again.
   I tried:
   - 5 BIOS versions
   - 7 nVedia drivers
   - reinstalled windows 7 times
   - rolled back windows to a clean windows image 5 times
   - messing with bios clock and voltages. (not in anger because I am afraid, and other users report next to no improvements)
   - turning PC at the power rather then just pressing reset used to help 3 months ago, not this time.
5) Magically after some combination of things system will become stable-ish again (yet I haven't put my finger on it, so illusive)
6) Use PC and hold your breath for a week, then start playing games
7) Just you think its OK except for a few random crashes the cyclical login crashes are back!
AND THE CYCLE STARTS OVER

I have just come out of step 6 after a 3 month good run, and:
- Found moving to PCI-E 8x will get me out of the login crashes.
- I rolled back to a clean windows with no nVedia drivers.
- I find I can even go back to 16x but not if I do anything tricky, as soon as it crashes it goes back to cyclical crashes at windows login and I have to move back to 8x slot to get it out.
- Just updated to FH BIOS from FE1, going to try some different nVidea drivers to see if FH is better and can run 3D reliably on the 8x slot and then move to 16x (wishful thinking)

I spent about 80+ hrs on this over 20 days, spread over a year. I now think of it as a sport! or I am insane..

People say its some sort of hardware and driver fault, mostly with nVedia, but maybe MOBY chipset also, that manifests in several Motherboards with these 400 series and some 500 series GTX cards.
I am yet to find someone who has a definitive explanation or solution.

I have to test a theory about IRQ conflicts causing the issue, between the graphics card and audio or network card.
People report some success with RMA, so that will be step 2, even if that means I loose the game.

(I also get some random 2-3 sec freezing in windows, and some games. It could be part of that "loosing connection with graphics adapter" problem where windows fixes itself rather then crashing, but not sure if thats that it is or that it is related)

I love life :') Soon I will be a Mac user :)  or I might become homicidal

Thank you

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 11:50:07 am »
i saw only 2 setting about graphic card on bios
Onboard VGA -----> i try all options
init Display first ------> i try all option

yesterday night I tried to put single Gtx 460 on pciex x8, i can enter on desktop but soon  system become unstable and i get an bsod, on reboot i get an bios error

when both Gtx 460 are installed i tried to remove sli bridge and power supply from card on pciex x8 and all work well, 2d and 3d
but if i remove the card from pciex 8x i still have black screen just after login

all the problems appear when i install the nvidia driver, when i safe clean them to try another version i can enter on desktop on all configuration(sli, single card on pciex 16x and single card on pciex 8x) with default ms driver

another strage thing is then i have 8 Nvidia Hight Definition Audio Controller on sli while on previous motherboard i had only 2 for each card

tomorrow i will try with older bios, thats the last chance before i sell it

very bad experience for my first gigabyte motherboard on 20 years of computer  :'(
Thank you so much for this reply buddy.