Official GIGABYTE Forum

P67a-ud7-b3 How do I install windows to a 3tb seagate GPT drive

P67a-ud7-b3 How do I install windows to a 3tb seagate GPT drive
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:39:21 am »
Ok i've been tearing my hair out over this problem for weeks now, and for the life of me cannot get windows 7 to install to a 3tb seagate drive set up as a GPT disk structure. I've changed the bios setting to EFI, i've even manually edited a win 7 install DVD to install in UEFI mode only, but it still NEVER lets me install windows to the GPT disk, just states the usual "windows cannot be installed to this disk, the disk is of the GPT disk structure" or something. Ive even setup the efi/msr/primary partitions beforehand thinking maybe the win 7 install needed them to do an EFI install, no difference same result it wont install because it is a GPT disk. Is there anyone on here who has a 3tb drive who has successfully installed windows 7 64 bit onto it as a GPT disk so they can utilise the whole disk and not have to deal with the 2tb MBR limit?

Thanks....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:41:11 am by crinklecut »

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: P67a-ud7-b3 How do I install windows to a 3tb seagate GPT drive
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 02:02:00 am »
Hi crinklecut,  ;)

If possible, give more infos about your hardware configuration.

CPU, PSU, video cards, Hard Disk, SSD, etc (Add a weblink for HD and SSD, please)

What is your BIOS version?
What is your exactly Window version. Have you a SP1. Service Pack One. If no, install it now before anything.

In waiting time, just verify if you have installed a:

Have you installed a IRST : Intel® Rapid Storage Technology ?

IF no First Install it:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology

Second 3TB+ Unlock Preinstall driver
(Note) Support Intel X79/Z68/X58/P67/H67 series and AMD 900/800 series MB.
(Note) Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.
(Note) After installing the operating system, if your system keeps rebooting automatically, refer to the following recommended solutions.

1. Recover your Windows operating system with the Automated System Recovery function. Boot from the Windows Setup disk. When prompted with the message "Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)", press F2 to run ASR.
2. Connect your hard drive to another SATA port.

Third : 3TB+ unlock
(Note) Support Intel X79/Z68/X58/P67/H67 series and AMD 900/800 series MB.
(Note) Please install 3TB+ Unlock Preinstall driver first before running 3TB+ Unlock utility.

You find this utilities in : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3761#utility

=============
You have a possibility to view by Administrative Tools (Starting Menu), in Window's Disk Management program, if by right click on the 3T drive, this drive is in One part or multiple part. Like with a one partition of 2Tb and other of 1Tb. (Grey or not Grey).

If you have a data on this 3T disk, Save it before continue modification with Window's Disk Management program.

Try to see if you want all erase 3TB disk and partitions. After it, make a new only one partition, if you want it.
Source  : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition
Otherwise, choose if you keep 2Tb partition and by right click on this, in contextual menu, choose Convert to GPT.

Help here:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=218619&NewLang=en

So come back here, for comments. Take a courage and patience.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:11:54 am by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:09:35 am »
Hi Gloup_Gloup, thanks for the response.

My hardware configuration is as follows :-

Motherboard GA-P67A-UD7-B3

CPU Core I7 2600k

Video Card Ati Radeon 5750

Memory 16gb G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 2133MHz

Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB - http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/desktops/barracuda_xt/

BIOS VERSION F6.

Am confused why I would need an IRST driver as this isn't a RAID setup it's a single 3TB drive.

The 3TB unlock utility is only used within windows to enable the portion of the drive hidden by the MBR 2.2TB limit, useless for a GPT disk.

Hopefully this has made things clearer, are you saying I need to install an F6 driver during windows setup or something im confused what the IRST was about.

Thanks again..

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:46 am »
Hi crinklecut,  ;)

I do not know if you have installed Marvel drivers and controller Marvel. And How you  have connected your Hard Disk (type of Port Sata)

First:
So the best is use de SATA port by ICH10. Not use a Marvel Sata Port, because is not perform.
So if you have use Marvel sata port, remove it, and use ICH10 sata port. And remove all drivers of Marvel.

Second:
About IRST : Is not just for RAID situation. This drivers is good in Single Drive, multiple single drives or in presence of RAID.
For installing the IRST drivers, download it (choose a version 10.8.0.1003 in one file. (is not necessary to download a F6 Drives Diskettes).
EDIT01: When Windows is installed, install this drivers within Windows session.

See post here for more details :
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7449.msg59137.html#msg59137

Gloup_Gloup

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:40:36 am by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:30 am »
Yeah have only been trying to get this to work through the intel sata ports, the white ones - I did read a while back that the marvell controlled ports had an issue with trying to do this, so I avoided them from pretty much the outset. So are you saying I need this IRST to successfully get windows to notice the GPT drive during the install? because you say it is not necessary to download a f6 drive diskette, I assume you meant to say it is not neccessary to install an F6 driver? if so at what point do I install this "IRST" driver because I am attempting to install windows to a clean drive, so wouldnt the only opportunity I have to install any third party driver be at the "press F6 now to install any third party driver" point? I am sooo confused....

Have also attempted to do the EFI install in both IDE and ACHI mode, same result.

Lol I just noticed your edit -" EDIT01: When Windows is installed, install this drivers within Windows session."

There in lies the rub, I can't install windows because of described problem, if I could I wouldnt be here asking for help....

Appreciate the help though ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:48:27 am by crinklecut »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:44 am »
Hi

I am probably no more sure of the intricacies of this problem than you are but I think it is highly likely that what you are trying to do is impossible. That is that you could use a 3TB drive for storage but not for booting on a motheboard that doesn't fully support UEFI. Your board has the custom EFI/BIOS that allows support for large drives but not totally. I would advise checking my assumption with GGTS but that is my thoughts on it.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:47:09 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:27:50 pm »
That'll  be why I have a bald patch where my hair used to be Dark :D, oh well if I find out it is impossible I guess i'll just have to wait for Gigabyte to release the UEFI for my motherboard.

I know one thing if they decide not to release it after all the bullls*** about "cutting their teeth" on this EFI/BIOS hybrid, then go ahead anyway and release the full blown UEFI on the X79 platform, I shall never buy another Gigabyte product as long as I live, people are not that naive Gigabyte.

This 3tb+ unlock is not a viable solution whatsoever, I want to be able to partition my drive the way I want, not a 2tb chunk at the start to be chopped up followed by the 700 odd gig bit enabled by the "unlock" at the end of the drive. Most people have a smaller primary and a large secondary d drive, now if the 700 gig unlock was at the start of the drive i'd have no problem, because I could chop that into 2 350 gigs for a c drive and a backup of the c drive, leaving the 2.2tb bit for my d drive - I understand thats not Gigabytes fault it's the limitations of the MBR system, but what the hell was the point of this EFI hybrid  if you cant even boot from a GPT disk? boo Gigabyte, boo. I have never been able to run my memory at 2133 either, 2133 rated memory, but that's another rant....

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »
Not one person on here has installed windows to a GPT drive? Regardless of size or make of hard drive on my motherboard? How about people who have tried to?

ANY WORD ON A UEFI RELEASE FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD AND WHEN IT'S LIKELY?!??
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:32:06 pm by crinklecut »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
Hi again,

I would suggest that you contact runn3R the Gigabyte official on the forum or GGTS which will probably end up in the same place  ;D

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13

or

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:07:34 am »
"Hi,

Our socket 1155 models support EFI boot (EFI loader) by CDROM/ODD only.

From X79 models and Ivy Bridge models will support the true UEFI.

Therefore, P67A-UD7 doesn’t support UEFI and GPT boot."

The above was the reply GGTS gave me - smacks of trying to sell the X79 and little else, not impressed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:44:05 am by Dark Mantis »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 06:43:23 am »
Well that was fairly much as I summised wasn't it. It's a shame but I thought that would be the answer roughly because I don't suppose that they can do anything to help.  I too have a P67 and with the price of hard drives now I guess it won't affect me for some time to come anyway!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »
Yeah ive tried all that gloup gloup, had the disk set up properly using diskpart but still no joy - but that last link is for developers I think. I have given up on GPT for now, have the disk set up using the MBR structure, 2.2tb limit then the 3 TB disk unlocker to get that 700 odd gig partition enabled on the end enabled as a seperate "SCSI" drive, yup lists 2 seperate drives with that installed -not the most elegant solution but it works for now. Lol Dark yeah I bought my drive in the states and got a good deal on it, then thailand gets hit by a tsunami or something and hard drive prices go through the roof. I would never spend £200 on a hard drive 3TB or not, unless it was a SSD :p. Thanks for the help anyway guys i'll just wait for the UEFI to come down the pipe hopefully sometime before I draw my pension :D