Official GIGABYTE Forum

RAID vs Win7

zugzug

RAID vs Win7
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
Hi All,

I have just built a new machine with Gigabyte motherboard and Windows is rejecting this board's 64-bit RAID driver. I understand support may take a week to respond which is not an option. I'm hoping someone here may have a clue as to the problem. Thanks for reading!

BACKGROUND
1. Installed 3 HDDs on connectors SATA3_0/1/2
2. Installed Blueray drive on connector SATA3_5
2. Configured SATA controller mode in BIOS according to manual (SATA Controller:Enabled, SATA Type:RAID, SATA Port4/5 Type: As SATA Type, SATA RAID5 Support:Enabled).
3. Used BIOS to configure a single 1.9TB RAID5 LD.
4. Changed BIOS setting SATA "Port4/5 Type" to "IDE" in order for Windows install to reach the "where do you want to install Windows" screen.

PROBLEM
Installing Win7 64-bit (via DVD created from disk image), I arrive at the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen which displays message "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation" at the bottom of the screen. I click the browse button and select path "BootDrv\SBxxxW7\RAID\W764A" from the MOBO support disk. A short time later, Windows displays message "Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unusable Windows installation".

TROUBLESHOOTING
-inspection of driver signature file "ahcix64s.cat" indicates that the digital signature is "ok" and does not expire until February of 2012.
-BIOS data/time is correct
-the latest driver from the Gigabyte website is expired and attempting to load this driver via USB thumb drive has identical result
-all 3 HDDs are in the RAID and are functioning

SYSTEM
Motherboard : GA-990XA-UD3(rev. 1.0)
BIOS Ver : F3
VGA: Nvidia GEFORCE GT 430
CPU: AMD X6 1075T 3.0Ghz
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit
Memory: PATRIOT DDR3 4GB (x2) 1866MHz
Power Supply : 1200 W
HD: SEAGATE Barracuda 1TB (x3)
Blueray: LG WH12LS30
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:00:36 am by zugzug »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: RAID vs Win7
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:03 am »
Hi there,

The warning about using an "unsigned" Driver at the F6 part of the installation is not an issue and you can safely go ahead at this stage of the install.

You will find other occassions, once you have installed the OS where Microsoft gives the same warning, I get it for my M-Audio soundcard and also my Syncrosoft USB Protection device for Cubase, just to mention two devices where this happens. It also happens with some software and this is Microsoft's attempt to get only Signed Drivers being used in an effort to improve system stability.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

zugzug

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 05:36:08 pm »
Thank you for your reply absic. Unfortunately, without Windows' acceptance of the driver, I seem to be stuck at the ""No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation" screen without any drive to specify as the install location.

PS: I am also a M-Audio + Cubase person!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:59:03 pm »
To be honest I'm not sure what the problem is that you're facing. I put together a RAID0 Array on the GA-990FXA-UD5 using the AMD SATA Controller and it was all pretty much automatic.

If you have a bit of time you might want to read through this part of my living review: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.msg45816.html#msg45816 as it may give you some pointers.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

zugzug

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »
I have reviewed the link and the way I have configured RAID seems correct and appears to be functioning.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:47 am »
OK, sorry if I seem a bit thick but just want to make sure I understand what you're trying to do.

You have setup a RAID5 Array. Are you trying to install the OS onto this Array?

The OS installation disk is from a copy that you have made from an ISO. When you burnt the image did you do this at the slowest speed? Also, is it a legitimate copy of the OS?

During the Windows installation, it is asking for drivers and you have tried loading them using F6. Try loading the AHCI drivers first to see if that allows the RAID Array to be seen. I have to say that when I tried running a RAID0 Array on the GA-990FXA-UD5 I didn't actually need to install any drivers as the Array was being seen straight off by Windows 7. I haven't got the spare hardware to try putting a RAID5 Array together so I can't actually test that option for you, to try and see what might be the problem.

zugzug

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »
No need to appologize, allow me to clarify...

You have setup a RAID5 Array.
Yes.

Are you trying to install the OS onto this Array?
Yes.

When you burnt the image did you do this at the slowest speed?
No, however I did tell Nero to verify all data after burning.

is it a legitimate copy of the OS?
Yes - it was obtained from my MSDN subscription and tested on another machine.

it is asking for drivers and you have tried loading them using F6
Not per se, rather Windows 7 gives me the opportunity to preload them without using F6.

Try loading the AHCI drivers first to see if that allows the RAID Array to be seen
Loading the AHCI driver, I am presented with the following error: "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK."

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:46:20 pm by zugzug »

autotech

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:23:51 am »
Try this use a non blu ray dvd drive to install it with. can be a normall sata dvd drive just not a blu ray have heard of this problem before.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

zugzug

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:09 am »
Thank you for your suggestion autotech. I tried putting Win7 on bootable USB but this did not fix the problem.

zugzug

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:34 pm »
I have had a breakthrough: instead of selecting the 64-bit RAID driver, I selected the x86 driver. Suddenly Windows installer displayed my drive which could be partitioned, formatted, and selected as the installation target. When the installation is complete, I will force the 64-bit driver down Windows' little throat. Interpret my absence from this thread as confirmation of the solution.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:45:49 pm by zugzug »

zugzug

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:14:15 pm »
One more piece to this solution: I had to UNPLUG my LG BlueRay player and recreate the RAID prior to installing Windows with the x86 RAID driver. I am simultaneously happy and disgusted by this solution.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:22:55 pm by zugzug »

autotech

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 02:29:52 am »
My bad i didnt make myself clearer zug i just thought you would realize to use a regular dvd player wasnt thinking you would do a bootable usb. I use a bootable usb too and find it loads windows so much faster. Should of told you to unplug blu ray player not just dont use it. If it is connected to a sata port it is still being read and will mess up a raid install at this time.

I read about that somewhere might of even been in thse forums i am sure at a later date and they become cheaper that the problem will get itself corrected as more  people use them as standard equipment.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:59:36 am »
Zug Zug, thanks so much... I have the exact same problem running RAID 5. I had to find out on my own that installing x86 drivers would make the drives visible. I do however have a question.... It wasn't too clear on whether you disconnected the blue ray player, created the RAID and then reconnected the blue ray to proceed with the installation, or if you left it disconnected and used a usb method instead. Any feedback from anyone would be excellent. Windows 7 sees the drives at installation, but they disappear once its all loaded.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 08:04:37 am »
@AMDfanBOY
I answered your question in your main post here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7553.msg59752.html#msg59752

Basically it might be better to remove the BlueRay from the system until after you have installed Windows.