Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 won't post

Kamy

GA-990FXA-UD5 won't post
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:51:30 am »
Hi all,

This is a completely new build, and not nearly my first.

GA-990FXA-UD5 Motherboard
AMD FX 8120 CPU
Diamond Radeon HD 6950
8 gig Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 RAM
90 GB Corsair SATA3 SSD
2 TB Hitachi HDD
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W power supply 

When I apply power I can energize the system with the power switch on the front of the case, the fans spin up and fan LEDs come on, but no signal goes to the monitor, and I get no post beep codes. 

If I unplug power to the video card it will begin to alarm right away.

I have tried swapping the RAM around to the different slots and even tried using them one module at a time. No joy there.

Once the system is powered, the only way to turn it off is the hard switch on the power supply.

I even tried to boot without the video card in the system and it did not generate a video beep code.  Do you think I have a DOA mobo?    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 won't post
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:39:36 am »
Hi

I would say it sounds more like the card is working just not being picked up and used as the main output. I take it that at the moment you have no way of accessing the BIOS to make any changes so try an extended clear of the CMOS by following these instructions EXACTLY please.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, making the primary graphics adapter the PCIEx16 or it might just have PEG, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:41:39 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:27:38 am »
Hi there,

your motherboard probably needs the latest BIOS to recognise your CPU.
Although the boards do support the AM3+ processors, many of these motherboards were shipped with an earlier BIOS because of the long delay from AMD over releasing the FX processors.

You will need a supported CPU installed to allow you to be able to enter BIOS before you can update it so it will take the FX8120
Latest BIOS can be download from here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891&dl=1#bios F7g is labelled as BETA but I would recommend that you use this version with the FX8120
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Kamy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:01:20 am »
Hi

I would say it sounds more like the card is working just not being picked up and used as the main output. I take it that at the moment you have no way of accessing the BIOS to make any changes so try an extended clear of the CMOS by following these instructions EXACTLY please. <snip>

Thanks for the tip Dark Mantis, unfortunately though this did not work.

Kamy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:24:05 am »
Hi there,

your motherboard probably needs the latest BIOS to recognise your CPU.
Although the boards do support the AM3+ processors, many of these motherboards were shipped with an earlier BIOS because of the long delay from AMD over releasing the FX processors.

You will need a supported CPU installed to allow you to be able to enter BIOS before you can update it so it will take the FX8120
Latest BIOS can be download from here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891&dl=1#bios F7g is labelled as BETA but I would recommend that you use this version with the FX8120

Hi absic,

Thanks for weighing in. After reading your post I also came across this on Gigabytes website...

To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section.

So that may likely be the answer.  I am getting power from the PSU through the motherboard as the dvd tray opens and the fans connected to the MB  connectors all spin up, just nothing comes up on the screen at all. 

This begs a question though, where the heck do I get my hands on a supported cpu without buying one?  I don't think any of my other builds I have around here have an Athlon II (which is the earliest chip the board supports).  (Just pulled apart an older machine with a 1st gen Athlon)

I am stumped as to what to do... how can I update the bios on this thing if I can't get it to even post ???

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 11:25:47 am »
Best advice I can offer if you don't have a supported CPU is to see if a local PC store can update the BIOS for you. Usually they will do this for a small fee and another forum member got his done for $20. Although this is a pain it's cheaper than buying another CPU.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Kamy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:48:04 am »
Best advice I can offer if you don't have a supported CPU is to see if a local PC store can update the BIOS for you. Usually they will do this for a small fee and another forum member got his done for $20. Although this is a pain it's cheaper than buying another CPU.

Good advice absic, thank you.  I will start making some phone calls this morning when the stores open :) Thanks again! 

I certainly hope that is the issue and this thing is not DOA.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
There have been quite a few post like this recently across different motherboards and in every case it has been down to the BIOS.

I'm running this board with the 1090T at the moment and once it is up and running you will find it is a very good motherboard. If you haven't done so already you might like to look through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.0.html as I go into setting up and running this motherboard in some detail.