Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 - NB and MOSFET cooling options

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 - NB and MOSFET cooling options
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:59:25 pm »
Hello

I recently bough a Gigabyte motherboard (model GA-970A-D3).
I'm currently overclocking and have reached a brick wall due to overheated VRM/MOSFET. There's a posibility that my Northbridge is too warm as well but I want to start out fixing the VRM/MOSFET issue. I found out too late that this motherboard isn't so super good for overclocking (passive NB cooling and a non-existing MOSFET -heatsink = bad) - if I had known I would've picked a more expensive gigabyte board. Anyway, I'm confident that I can fix this card's flaws.

My questions are: what MOS heatsink and NB cooling will fit this board?
I browsed EnzoTech's website but all their MOSFET heatsinks doesn't seem to fit the 970A-D3 board. One of their heatsinks "might" be a candidate though but I'm unsure if it will fit.
MST-78:
http://www.enzotechnology.com/mst_78.htm
Dimensions:

Do you guys think that one would fit?

Also does the board even have pins for attaching a custom NB heatsink? The stock NB heatsink is rectangular - unlike all the custom coolers I've seen. I'm also worried that my ASUS HD 6970 DirectCU II -card might be in the way. I know it's facing the "other side" but the stock NB cooler is shaped the way it is for a reason.

So what cooling should I go for?

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 - NB and MOSFET cooling options
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:21:44 pm »
Hi Nightshade,  ;)

Welcome to forum.

Have you read this infos:

http://www.enzotechnology.com/1_1/1-1.pdf

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
Thanks
That's cool - but my problem is that I'm not currently at my stationary computer. I'll get back home in 1,5 week and I wanted to order a cooler so it's there once I get back. :(

Gloup_Gloup

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:52:02 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:35:18 pm »
Thanks.
I like the HR-55 and the HR-05 because how they bend away closer to one side (that way you can mount it away from the graphics card - or CPU cooler depending on setup).
I'm unsure if it will fit in my system though but i'll definetly take a look when I can.
One major concern though:
How do you mount that kind of coolers? (Thermalright) I see no holes, screws or any type of mounting mechanics. Also, the stock NB heatsink on my motherboard is clearly rectangular (http://content.etilize.com/900/1020379243.jpg), and all NB-coolers I've found got a square base. I wouldn't want to risk having a big chunk of the chipset being outside of the heatsink area.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:58:14 pm »
Hi again,

Have you a picture about reverse side of motherboard?
Maybe you see a type of clip for Northbridge.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:16:19 pm »
I'm afraid I don't have that.
But I'm pretty sure that there is only a backplate for the CPU included with this board.