Official GIGABYTE Forum

G51MT-S2P - Devices Disconnect Randomly

G51MT-S2P - Devices Disconnect Randomly
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:37 am »
Hey all,

I am experiencing a problem with my computer and my only lead left is the motherboard. After a random amount of time, all USB devices and audio will disconnect. This would be fine, but Windows Explorer freezes. Basically put, the only way to get the computer to function after the crash is a cold shutdown. Is this a known bug? A certain setting I might have overlooked?

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz (no overclocking)
Gigabyte G41MT-S2P (BIOS version F3 - 05/30/2011)
2 DDR3 2 GB sticks of RAM (PC3-10700 (667 MHz))

I did have a graphics card in there, but I replaced the power supply (thinking that was the problem) and it doesn't have enough wires to power the graphics card, so it's not in there.

Let me know if any other information is required. I'm quite technically savvy, so you don't have to dumb down the lingo any.

Thanks,

PasteyWhiteCoder
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:18:07 am by PasteyWhiteCoder »

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: G51MT-S2P - Devices Disconnect Randomly
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:23:43 am »
Hi PastyWhiteCoder,  ;)

Have again a same situation now?

Have you make a change in Bios?
Maybe try in a Main Bios:
Load Optimized Defaults.

Otherwise check in Bios a parameters for USB port and Audio ports.
Check in your manual paper.

What is the rev. of your mobo?
Just for help you about a Revision of motherboard, see
how do I distinguish between the different revisions of the same model?
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=864

Gloup_Gloup

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:14 pm »
Hi

Is this a system that has been up and running for some time or a newly built one ?

Try replacing the motherboard battery (CR2032) and then do an extended clear of the CMOS. Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:35:37 pm »
Hi PastyWhiteCoder,  ;)

Have again a same situation now?

Have you make a change in Bios?
Maybe try in a Main Bios:
Load Optimized Defaults.
Done that. Doesn't change anything. (I read the "do this before you post" stickie ;))

Otherwise check in Bios a parameters for USB port and Audio ports.
Check in your manual paper.
I've only seen "USB 1.0 Controller" and "USB 2.0 Controller" options (enable/disable). I tried all combinations of those with no luck.

What is the rev. of your mobo?
G41MT-S2P Rev A3 (latest version, as far as I know).

Is this a system that has been up and running for some time or a newly built one ?
It was fine up until maybe 6 months ago. I think I did a BIOS update or something when these started happening.

Try replacing the motherboard battery (CR2032) and then do an extended clear of the CMOS. Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

I'll try that this weekend and see if I have any luck.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:55:37 am »
From your reply above it sounds like maybe the newer BIOS might have introduced the issue, you can roll back to the older BIOS anytime if you remember which is was.   Please use Qflash to do this!  And be sure to load optimized in the BIOS after you flash, save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS, then make any changes you need such as memory voltage and SATA settings.

If you are not sure which BIOS it was be sure to check which BIOSes support your CPU before flashing to any older BIOSes so you don't flash one that's too old and doesn't support your CPU.