Official GIGABYTE Forum

Question About Audio On GA-G41MT-S2PT

Question About Audio On GA-G41MT-S2PT
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:03 am »
I have ordered a new GA-G41MT-S2PT and will be receiving it in a couple days. The question I have is when I look at pictures of the back panel I see that the audio only has the standard green speaker output. The specs say that the audio is HD with 5.1/7.1 support. I have a 5.1 speaker system which requires 2 additional outputs (orange and black). So with only one speaker output how do I connect my speakers? Let me guess...I need to spend even more money on some kind of adapter which should be included with the board in the first place. 

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: Question About Audio On GA-G41MT-S2PT
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:52 am »
Well the specifications say this

2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
* To configure 7.1-channel audio, you have to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multi-channel audio feature through the audio driver.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4084#sp

And I know you can enable 5.1 with a single speaker connected because that is what I use, so I assume that's how they get by saying it's 5.1 capable because the drivers and interface allow you to set this with a single speaker?

I'm not an audiophile though, so hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here for you with a better answer.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »
And I know you can enable 5.1 with a single speaker connected because that is what I use, so I assume that's how they get by saying it's 5.1 capable because the drivers and interface allow you to set this with a single speaker?

This doesn't make sense to me. If you only have a front pair of speakers plugged in then you do not have 5.1 surround sound. Also from my experience if you set the speakers in windows to 5.1 and only have 2 speakers plugged in then you will not hear some sounds especially in games because those sounds will be sent to the other channels which don't exist. I also cannot see what would be gained by setting the system to 5.1 with only 2 speakers as opposed to just setting it to the proper 2 speaker setting. The whole idea of surround sound is the separation of channels so you get more directional output i.e. someone is walking behind you the sound of their footsteps come through the rear speakers so the sound is actually behind you which you will not get with a 2 speaker stereo setup.

Oh well...looks like I'll be using my sound blaster card instead. I really wanted to dump the SB due to creatives garbage drivers and was hoping to give the Realtek audio a try. I don't understand how a company can build a board with a HD 5.1/7.1 sound card and not include the correct outputs. Would it really have been such a big deal to add another row of 3 output jacks next to the 3 that are there?  Just doesn't make sense.

Anyways thanks for your response.

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:57 am »
What model SB?  I'm using an older PCI X-Fi and it works perfectly.

You may be able to reconfigure the jacks in the Realtek app.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:20 am »

This doesn't make sense to me. If you only have a front pair of speakers plugged in then you do not have 5.1 surround sound. Also from my experience if you set the speakers in windows to 5.1 and only have 2 speakers plugged in then you will not hear some sounds especially in games because those sounds will be sent to the other channels which don't exist. I also cannot see what would be gained by setting the system to 5.1 with only 2 speakers as opposed to just setting it to the proper 2 speaker setting. The whole idea of surround sound is the separation of channels so you get more directional output i.e. someone is walking behind you the sound of their footsteps come through the rear speakers so the sound is actually behind you which you will not get with a 2 speaker stereo setup.

Oh well...looks like I'll be using my sound blaster card instead. I really wanted to dump the SB due to creatives garbage drivers and was hoping to give the Realtek audio a try. I don't understand how a company can build a board with a HD 5.1/7.1 sound card and not include the correct outputs. Would it really have been such a big deal to add another row of 3 output jacks next to the 3 that are there?  Just doesn't make sense.

Anyways thanks for your response.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to me either, that's why I'm not an audiophile in my reply.   You are correct I do not have 5.1 sound, but just have it enabled and setup that way is all, so other options are available to me for testing issues for users.  I only use my speakers for listening to the occasional song (Rare), and email notification "Dings", so what comes out of my speakers really doesn't matter to me as I said previously.

I agree, I'm not sure how your supposed to setup 5.1 or above with a single audio port!   Can you refuse acceptance on the board delivery and pick out a higher model with proper audio channels?   I would do that if this is important to you, there are boards that would still be considered in the budget range like the G41 that would include the proper amount of audio ports.   If you need any help choosing a model please link us to your favorite stores, and let us know your desired price range and we can suggest some models back to you.