Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68X-UD3-B3 Booting into Windows with no GPU?

LewisD

Z68X-UD3-B3 Booting into Windows with no GPU?
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:01:34 am »
I have just recently built a new PC with the specs listed below and I have come across a strange issue. I installed Windows 7 perfectly fine, installed the drivers and no issues there. Got steam up and running and installed Skyrim and ARMA 2 and had a gaming session to test my new PC (coming from a dire laptop) and all was happy.

Later that night I was playing ARMA and suddenly the computer shuts down. It would turn back on but I had no video at all, not even at post. This led me to believe the GPU was busted or something. I tried reseating, moving to the second PCIe slot and different video outputs (DVI, VGA and miniDP) and still nothing. I had my speakers on and I could hear the PC booting into Windows because of the log on jingle and if I tapped the power button it would shutdown (again, jingle) and turn off fine. I then took out my GPU and booted and again it logged into Windows and shutdown perfectly OK. I didn't think this was possible. I know there is no onboard GPU with my particular model of motherboard so most of the other threads I find on the internet don't apply as that is usually the solution.

I have already organised an RMA for the GPU but its the booting into Windows with no GPU. Is this possible? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

My specs are:
i3 2100
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
Powercolour 6870
bequiet! 530W

Nothing was overclocked and I have no DVD or anything so the good brand power supply should be plenty so I know its not that.
 GPUZ68X-UD3-B3

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
Re: Z68X-UD3-B3 Booting into Windows with no GPU?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:12:51 am »
I wouldn't rule out the PSU: it isn't "plenty"; it meets the requirements on paper and its mid-quality at best.  Skyrim will put a full load on your video card continuously.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
I would agree with Rolo on this and say that the PSU isn't a very good quality either. I feel that it is probably due to this component that you are having problems.

AS for the no GPU scenario don't forget that there is a GPU built into the CPU but you just can't make use of it because your motherboard doesn't have the output ports etc. Hence it will still run ok but you just can't see anything.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:46:43 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:48:10 pm »
Sounds like a dead graphics card to me, why are you guys saying the current issue is the PSU?   

While I'm not saying that it's not good enough, or not part of the issue, but it just sounds to me like his current graphics card he was using died and he should test with another graphics card if he has an old or spare one around the house or that he could easily borrow from a friend, family member, or neighbor.