Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help with 990FXA-UD5 not so random BSOD - System Service Exception

Hello,

My latest build is having an odd issue where a few features are completely useless *cool and quiet, turbo mode, power saving fetures etc

The build is as follows

AMD 1100T @ stock settings (not overclocked) all voltage settings set to auto
8GB (4GB*2) Corsair 1600mhz vengeance DDR3 memory @ stock settings
EVGA 570 1.2GB video
Corsiar TX750 PSU
Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1-TB Hard Drive
Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 2-TB Hard Drive
Corsair H60
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

When I enable cool&quiet, turbo mode or any of the power saving features, the computer will blue screen randomly (system service exception - bad pool caller) (will usually go for about a week before I come home to a blue screen - my pc is always on)
I have run memtest overnight and no errors.
Prime will run for 12hours with no issues.
temps are circa 33 idle and 45 full load
i have attempted to downclock the memory to 1333 (as anything above this is technically an overclock) and the same thing happens when these options are enabled in bios
i have attempted every one  of these options individually and any of them when enabled will result in the same eventual blue screens
i have swapped out for different ram and same issues occur, originally i was using a set of g.skill ram that were not listed in the compatibility chart for this board, so i went out and bought a set of corsiar sticks listed as compatible
i have updated the bios with each release no difference 
if the options are all disabled the system is stable as can be - never blue screens.
the hard drives have been tested with the seagate tool and have come up clean and error free

if i enable the ACHI option all hell breaks loose (I did install the M$ fix to switch from SATA to AHCI mode after installation)
very often the system will hang at 'loading operating system' after a reboot, in some cases it will come back with no operating system found messages.

Re: Help with 990FXA-UD5 not so random BSOD - System Service Exception
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:10 am »
When I enable cool&quiet, turbo mode or any of the power saving features, the computer will blue screen randomly (system service exception - bad pool caller) (will usually go for about a week before I come home to a blue screen - my pc is always on)
Do you have SP1 installed?

if i enable the ACHI option all hell breaks loose (I did install the M$ fix to switch from SATA to AHCI mode after installation)
very often the system will hang at 'loading operating system' after a reboot, in some cases it will come back with no operating system found messages.
I find that Windows 7 installations can be quite picky.  Problems may arise if settings have been changed after installation and they no longer match those in the MBR. Try booting to the System Recovery Options on your Windows 7 installation disk and perform a Startup Repair.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

Do you have SP1 installed?
Yes, I currently have SP1 installed.

I find that Windows 7 installations can be quite picky.  Problems may arise if settings have been changed after installation and they no longer match those in the MBR. Try booting to the System Recovery Options on your Windows 7 installation disk and perform a Startup Repair.
I will give this a shot later tonight and post the results.

This weekend I plan on moving the components over to another board to see if the Cool & Quiet, Turbo Core Boost, and Power saving features work on the other board to rule out the processor itself. If it working on the other board. I am thinking RMA if nobody has any other ideas. I was just hoping to avoid tearing the system apart.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:18:15 pm »
I thought I would update this thread with some recent developments should someone experience some of the problems I was going through.

I purchased an FX-8120 and swapped it out for the 1100T.

When I got the system back together, it did not post giving me two long beeps and one short beep.
I was able to get it to boot with one stick of RAM, but only two cores were showing.
I flashed the bios back to F5 and reset all bios settings. Two cores still showing.

I then used the core unlocker feature which all cores suddenly appeared and Windows recognised and installed the drivers for the new procesor.
I was then able to put the other stick of ram in and flash it back to the latest BIOS.

This was a few weeks ago, and the system has been running with C&Q enabled and has been rock solid since. No further blue screens.

On a side note, the 1100T is also running stable and happy in a Crosshair IV with no stability issues and C&Q enabled.