Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68XP-UD4 + RAID5, with single SSD boot - SATA port config confuzzion.

Hi,

I'm having a hard time configuing my BIOS to recognise the following config...

1x SSD (Boot)
1x DVD
3x HDD (RAID5)

I can't find a BIOS combination of controllers to make the SSD seperate from RAID control and have the 3 platters in RAID5. I've tried all combinations of SATA ports and no joy. Ideally I'd like the SSD on a 6gb SATA line but I'm on the edge and would sacrefice the speed to just make the damned thing boot.
I've gone through the destructions manual and it concentrates on RAID0 or 1 configs, which is much easier but wastes a disk and isn't ideal for my setup.

I simply need a list of SATA ports, which devices to plug into them and which way round to set the SATA controllers in BIOS. For completeness, it's not system resources that's the problem, I'm running an i5 2.8, 16G RAM and a GTX470. Everything's compatible with the 64-bit install I'll be building too.

Help please! :-)

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
You want the main SSD boot drive on the first Intel port (SATA3_0), and the DVD on the last Intel port SATA2_5)

The RAID array can go anywhere in the middle, but it may be best to put it on SATA2_2, 3 and 4, IE the 2, 3, and 4th SATA2 ports, with the DVD on the last one.   You can put one of those disks on a 6Gb/s port, but it's probably best to go ahead and use them all on the 3Gb/s ports.

BIOS settings would be as follows

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (White/Black Ports - top of the BIOS)
eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ........................ Disabled
ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ..................... RAID
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) ............. Either

If you are installing windows on the SSD, it may be best for you to install with only the SSD connected, in RAID mode.  No drives are needed during the install, but you can install the latest Intel F6 Pre-install RAID drivers during the install if you want.   Then once windows is installed connect your RAID array

You may or may not be able to move the RAID 5 array to this boards controller, depending on what board it previously was on.   That's if it contains data already I mean, if it's going to be a new RAID 5 then you should have no problems building it before or after windows install using the above settings and port info.

Thanks, some progress has been made.

Unfortunately now it won't recognise the DVD and can't boot from the SSD (I'd built it in IDE mode yesterday). It recognised all 5 devices under RAID control and then it's hanging on "Loading Operating System..."

Last chance now, I think, is to IDE the whole lot, rebuild just the SSD and get all the drivers etc up to date before reattaching the platters, rebuilding the raid and hoping that solves it. Finally, it's a fresh RAID, all my data got backed up to an external before (barely before!) the old mobo died, so no worries about data loss.

Lsdmeasap

You can't build RAID on IDE mode, so not sure what you mean by that?

Do as I suggested, and setup a clean windows install, in RAID Mode with ONLY the SSD connected. Then once you are done udate the Intel RST drivers, thrid link here EXE
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology

Then reboot back to windows.  Then shut down and connect the RAID 5 drives, and then you can build the array in the Intel ROM using Control + I at bootup, or from within windows using the Intel RST interface.

DVD drive needs to go on the last Intel port.   It sounds like you have the right idea towards the end there, just not sure where IDE fits into your plans yesterday or tomorrow, nothing should ever be in IDE mode :D

Heh, cheers for the link, trying that now.

The IDE thing was only to get the clean install of Win on there so that I can update everything. Happily, I'm now typing from that fresh install with everything updated; latest drivers for everything etc. After I try that link then I can build the RAID, then it should be a job of locking down the network before caning the bandwidth.

Lsdmeasap

Ahh ok, about the IDE.   Let us know if you need anymore help with anything!

You may need this, so here, just in case.   You need to do this in the OS before you switch the SATA mode in the BIOS to RAID

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY) - NOT X79
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

It lives!

I must admit, I've not been massively technical with it and the 'fix' will probably draw some fire, but...

I've put the single SSD (and the DVD, but that doesn't really count) into the G-SATA port and set it to IDE in the BIOS then built the OS, added everything off the mobo drivers CD, then plugged the HDD's into the normal SATA ports and turned on the RAID controller, built the RAID and hey presto there it is.

Only one question remains... G-SATA; Gangsta?  ;)

Last miracle to perform is the argument with the network. Ugh. Still, it's a labour of love isn't it.

Cheers much for the help, confuzzion cleared!

Lsdmeasap

Ohh man! :D

Ya, you don't want the SSD in IDE mode, and you don't at all want it on the GSATA ports.   You also don't want to install anything from the motherboard CD as those are all old drivers, and you especially do not want to install all manually from it or use express install as it will install ALL drivers even stuff you are not using which can cause many more issues.

But.... sounds like after all that mess you've got it moved over to the Proper Intel controller now right?   SSD OS on SATA3_0?

G in GSATA stands for Gigabyte, depending on which port # that could be Gigabyte/J.Micron or Marvell port.

What's the network argument? :D   Download the latest driver from Realtek, that should sort it all out
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You want the "Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program" download