Official GIGABYTE Forum

"Open driver handle failure!!" mssg on g1.guerrilla intel win7 64bit system

I am trying to install easytune6 and smart6 on g1.guerrilla intel win7 64bit system.

I get "Open driver handle failure!!" message when I try to install either program.

Neither one of these programs has ever been installed before.

What is the installation trying to do?  What should I do?

Thanks for any help,
Jay   :-\

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi,

The chances are that the problem is being caused by the motherboard's BIOS not being the latest version. Also make sure that you have the newest versions of the programs too.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
I agree, please update to the latest BIOS using Qflash or DOS, and then be sure to start by loading optimized defaults and then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and once in the BIOS again set your SATA Settings and anything else you need before going to windows.

Then install all windows updates, including the optional .NET Framework ones, and then download the latest version of the utilities you want from here (And be sure you select the version that applies to your motherboard)
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/Utility.aspx

I already installed the latest bios, drivers, and the optimized defaults. Different languages are the only windows updates that I haven't installed.

I have hundreds of programs and as far as I know, all my software and hardware work perfect, EXCEPT I can not install these gigabyte utility programs.

I have an ssd sysres.  Is it possible the developers haven't tested on my configuration?  Can I send a dump somewhere?

Jay

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version   6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   JAY-WIN7
System Manufacturer   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model   G1.Guerrilla
System Type   x64-based PC
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         980  @ 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   Award Software International, Inc. F4d, 12/12/2011
SMBIOS Version   2.4
Windows Directory   C:\Windows
System Directory   C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name   Jay-Win7\Jay
Time Zone   Hawaiian Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   24.0 GB
Total Physical Memory   24.0 GB
Available Physical Memory   21.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory   26.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory   23.3 GB
Page File Space   2.00 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
One thing I would like to mention is that it isn't a good idea to run your pagefile/swapfile on the SSD.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

vega

I may have the solution for this and other install problems with easytune.

When I first assembled my system, I installed all the drivers first, then started with the utilities. I decided the Intel Smart Technology, @BIOS, Lucid, and Green were not for me. I uninstalled these. I proceeded to stop a lot of the services that were installed with these utilities.  Easytune6 would no longer run. This is where I came across the install issue here, and the other install / update / reinstall issues.

Reinstalling @BIOS, even though I won't use it, and re-enabling the Intel service hkcmd.exe (hotkey) allowed me to reinstall Easytune6.

hope this helps   
Have a Great Day !!

I have also had this nagging issue for over a year, but found solution on website today that worked.

The problem was a gigabyte service, "gdrv.sys", was not active.

Perform the following:

1)  Cancel gdrv service by going to start menu and clicking on Run, then typing    sc delete gdrv

2)  Re-register gdrv service by by going to start menu and clicking on Run, then typing

sc create gdrv binPath = "C:\Windows\gdrv.sys" type = "kernel" DisplayName = "gdrv"

All Gigabyte utilities installed without a hitch.

Jim