Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev2 - Driver Selection Confusion

GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev2 - Driver Selection Confusion
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »
I posted my questions on another site and got answers for most of my questions.  But I still have questions that only this forum can answer.

I will be building a new PC.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
SSD: Patriot PPSE120GS25SSDR
Video Card: ASUS ENGTX560
...along with RAM, tower, etc.

1.  The Intel VGA drivers on the Intel site are newer than the Intel VGA drivers on the official Gigabyte site.  Both drivers are identical in terms on what they are.  Is it safe to use the newer VGA drivers from the Intel site, or should I stick with the VGA drivers from the official Gigabyte site?  Did Gigabyte not post the newer VGA drivers because they already use a customized VGA driver that is more optimized for this motherboard?
*I learned that I have to install both the Intel VGA drivers AND the video card drivers.  If I do that, will the two drivers conflict with each other.

2.  The official Gigabyte site has the audio drivers to download. The NVIDIA video card drivers file has an "HDAUDIO" folder, which I assume are also audio drivers. Which drivers do I install?

3.  For the video card, is it recommended to do a manual driver install (through device manager and selecting the unknown device), or should I install the drivers straight from the install file (double click on the driver file)?

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: GA-Z68AP-D3 Rev2 - Driver Selection Confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:12:17 am »
Yes, you can use drivers directly from the source anytime you want, and that's often suggested because they are normally updated more frequently than the ones at Gigabyte's site.

Realtek is where you get your onboard audio drivers, here's their site's links

Audio
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

LAN
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

For video card drivers, it's recommended to download your drivers directly from AMD or Nvidia, and then install via the provided exe file.

Also, here is the latest Intel Chipset drivers (First link exe)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

And Intel AHCI or RAID driver (you want third link exe)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:13:08 am by Lsdmeasap »

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:39:50 am »
Awesome, thanks for the reply.  Just one more question.

Do I need to load any drivers before doing a fresh install of Windows?  During Windows Setup, there is a "load driver" option.

I watched a NewEgg video on building your own PC's on youtube, and the guy completely skipped this option. He was installing Windows 7 on a SSD. He installed all the drivers after Windows was installed, such as the chipset drivers, etc.

If you can install the drivers post-install just fine, then what's the point of a "load driver" option?

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:43 pm »
Anytime!

No, drivers are not necessary during windows install, but you can optionally install updated Intel F6 Pre-install RAID or AHCI drivers if you want.  If not, windows will use generic ones, and you can update them once installed.

The pre install option is there just in case as some boards may need them (Or if they want during install just to do it), and some other SATA controllers certainly will need them, but for general motherboard SATA ports it's optional

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:23:16 am »
Awesome.  Thanks for the links to the latest drivers.

If I decide to use the "load driver" option, do I just select the .exe drivers?  Or do I first need to unpack the files with 7zip?

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 04:14:02 am »
If you use the load driver function, you need to download the F6 Pre-install drivers (zip file), and then extract the files first.  This is the link you want for F6 drivers, and yes it would show up as 7zip file if you do not have winzip or winrar installed, or you have 7zip set to handle zip files
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:18:35 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks for your help.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:25:35 am »
Anytime!

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:30 am »
I built my own PC for the first time yesterday.  In all, it was a success with three setbacks.

The tower I used was an NZXT PHAN-001WT.  The NewEgg link is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

1.  I installed the Intel video drivers from the Intel site.  After it successfully installed, I restarted my computer.  After Windows restarted, I tried to change the resolution, but I was still capped at 1280x1024.  I could not go to 1920x1080, which is what my monitor supports.  After installing the NVIDIA drivers, I was able to go to 1080p.

I do not know how the Intel + NVIDIA drivers will co-exist together.  Am I able to switch between the two displays (Intel & NVIDIA)?  How do I know which display I am using?  If so, then how?  How do I know if I am using my video card and not the onboard graphics?

I have the Intel VGA version 8.15.10.2622 and NVIDIA drivers version 296.1 (March 13, 2012).

2.  The SATA chipset drivers from the Intel site did not work.  It said the computer did not have the correct hardware or something.  I will install the SATA drivers from the Gigabyte site later today to see if that works.  My SSD and optical drive work perfect fine though.

3.  After a fresh install of Windows, there was a sound icon on the bottom right of the screen.  I did not have speakers at the time to test whether there really was sound.  I double clicked on the icon and the mixer popped up.  Why does this icon exist when I did not even install the drivers from the Gigabyte site yet?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:03:57 am by Hellomaster »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:27:23 am »
Ya, no need to even install Intel Graphics drivers if you are using a Nvidia Graphics card, so you can uninstall those Intel ones now if you want (Advised)

You have to be in AHCI mode to install AHCI/RAID drivers, so it sounds like you are not in AHCI mode, or you have your hard drive connected to the wrong non-Intel ports.   You want your OS drive connect to the first White Intel Port (SATA3_0)

The audio will be working by default using the Microsoft built in drivers, you can leave those or update to Realtek ones linked above.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:21 am »
I was told in another forum that I needed to install BOTH the Intel and NVIDIA drivers.  The poster there said that the Intel drivers are designed to work with the CPU, and the NVIDIA drivers are designed to work with the video card.  The poster said the proper method was to install both drivers and they will co-exist together just fine.

I think I plugged my SSD into the USB3_1 port.  If I plug it into the USB3_0 port and the SATA drivers still do not install, how do I go into AHCI mode?

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:54 am »
They will, if you plan to use Lucid Virtu, if you don't you do not need the Intel graphics drivers at all.

USB for your SSD?   You should connect it to the first Intel port as I mentioned, unless it's a USB SSD?

If you installed in IDE mode, you need to make the following changes in the registry before you can swtich to AHCI, otherwise on bootup you will be met with the 0x0000007b BSOD

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Then you can reboot and switch the BIOS to AHCI at the top of the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:00:26 am by Lsdmeasap »

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07:08 am »
Ahh I made a big typo.  I meant to say I plugged in my SSD to the SATA3_1.

I have no idea whether I installed my SSD in IDE mode.  How do I check if I did that?  All I did was connect my SSD SATA cable to one of the two SATA3 connectors.  I most likely plugged it into the _1 connector.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:06 am »
Ahh ok!   No worries then, you can move it to SATA3_0 no problem, but you will still need to make the above changes if you installed in IDE mode, before you can switch the BIOS to AHCI.

YOu can look in the BIOS, if it's set to IDE now then it's IDE mode :D  If so, reboot to windows and make those changes, then back to the BIOS and change to AHCI.

You can also verify in windows right now if you want, by opening AS SSD and selecting your main OS drive, it will show the driver is use and if it's PCIDE then it's IDE mode, if it's Istor or MSAHCI then it's AHCI mode.  Download it at the very bottom of the page
http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
Thanks for your help.  I will get on it tonight.

I already started a virtual machine in VMware right after I installed Windows 7.  If I change the settings to AHCI and plug in the SATA cable to SATA3_0, will this affect the virtual machine in any way?  Am I going to have to change any settings in VMware?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:22:30 pm by Hellomaster »