Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with Z68AP-D3 Rev1.0 ethernet

Problem with Z68AP-D3 Rev1.0 ethernet
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:54 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a new mobo/cpu and am having some problems getting the onboard ethernet controller working. I'm using the most recent driver from the Realtek site and the F7 BIOS on the board (Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 rev1.0)

Steps I've tried:
- Reinstalling drivers (from CD, Gigabyte website and Realtek website)
- Reinstalling Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Updating BIOS

Despite all that, Windows still says "Device cannot be started (Code 10)" in device manager.  When I use the SmartLAN in BIOS it links fine however.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can fix this?

Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details

Issues found
The Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problemsThe Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems Detected 
The wired network adapter is experiencing problems Completed

Issues found Detection details

6 The Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems Detected

Detection details 

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Local Area Connection driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Manufacturer  . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
   Provider  . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
   Version   . . . . . . . . . . . : 7.48.823.2011
   Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\oem8.inf
   Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : 17 October 2011  09:21:52
   Section Name  . . . . . . . . . : RTL8168E.ndi
   Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_10ec&dev_8168&rev_06
   Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x1802400
   Device Manager Status Code  . . : 10
   IfType  . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
   Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name:  E824EA3E-8CFB-4357-B4C4-5D460B802ECC.Diagnose.0.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs
File Name:  NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information
Computer Name: 
Windows Version: 6.1
Architecture: amd64
Time: Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:53:53 PM

Publisher details 

Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Package Version: 1.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: Problem with Z68AP-D3 Rev1.0 ethernet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:45:44 am »
Do you have the latest Chipset INF drivers installed?  If not install those from here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

Also, go into your BIOS and press F9 on the main page, system info will come up, do you see a MAC address showing?  If not, clear your CMOS with the power supply unplugged or switched off.   Turn off or disconnect the PSU, Press and hold the case power on button for one minute, then remove the CMOS battery, then short the Clear CMOS pins for a few minutes.  Then put the battery back, turn the PSU on, and start the board and enter the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings you need for windows, and any other changes you need, and then again check the MAC address via F9.  If you still don't see one, you may need to clear the CMOS as mentioned above, but leave a jumper on the Clear CMOS pins overnight and try the next day.

Also, be sure you do not have green LAN enabled.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:23:02 am »
Hi

Along with what Lsdmeasap suggested make sure that you remove all traces of the old LAN chip driver before installation of the latest drivers.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Allanm

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
Hi Hidden Hippo , This may not be what you wabnt to hear, but I had very similar problems with my Z68AP-D3. I spent several weeks (on and off!) trying to resolve this with all the good help from this forum, but did not succeed. End result - I RMA'd the board  , got replacement within 8 days, loaded drivers from CD and ethernet worked first time.

Suggest you try solutions posted here, but don't spend weeks trying to fix it - boards do slip through with faults - get it RMA'd  it worked for me.

Best of luck with this Allanm

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:03:29 pm »
I would also echo the above post but rather than all the hassle with an rma I just purchased a pci-e
Nic for about a fiver.
Same board with the latest bios -port worked for a few days then mysteriously dissappeared-thought it was my
router at first...
Can enable/disable in Bios -but no mac address and no smart lan result
Tried the fixes mentioned although you may have a better outcome as at least the hardware is still being recognised

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
Do you have the latest Chipset INF drivers installed?  If not install those from here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

Also, go into your BIOS and press F9 on the main page, system info will come up, do you see a MAC address showing?  If not, clear your CMOS with the power supply unplugged or switched off.   Turn off or disconnect the PSU, Press and hold the case power on button for one minute, then remove the CMOS battery, then short the Clear CMOS pins for a few minutes.  Then put the battery back, turn the PSU on, and start the board and enter the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings you need for windows, and any other changes you need, and then again check the MAC address via F9.  If you still don't see one, you may need to clear the CMOS as mentioned above, but leave a jumper on the Clear CMOS pins overnight and try the next day.

Also, be sure you do not have green LAN enabled.

Thanks for that - worked a treat.  Bled the caps and cleared the data and it worked fine after a fresh driver install in Safe Mode.  I'm guessing there was something that just went a little awry.

How does one make sure Green LAN is off?  I only see three things relating to LAN - controller enabled, SmartLAN and the LAN ROM.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:06:53 pm »
Just make sure the LAN ROM is disabled and you are not using any other settings related to the LAN.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:13:47 am »
Great to hear clearing the CMOS resolved this issue for you!!!  That's always a quick and easy fix, and should be tried first by anyone when having major BIOS related issues.

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!