Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-OC Overclocking & Memory Isuues

X58A-OC Overclocking & Memory Isuues
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:31:17 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some suggestions, as I am at my wit’s end with these issues.

Whenever I set my memory setting for XMP1 profile in my motherboard’s BIOS, the system won’t post.  It reboots, and gives me a message that there was an voltage/overclocking issue and then reboots, posts, and reverts to the previous settings.  I thought that maybe the memory was faulty since this has occurred on 2 different Gigabyte motherboards (previous one was an X58A-UD5 v.1 BIOS F6, & current one is an X58A-OC BIOS F3), so I RMA’d the memory – and now the same thing occurs.  I will specify the components of my computer below.  Although the 12GB of RAM I’m using is 2 matched sets of 6GB, both motherboards I mentioned were unable to post with XMP1 settings with only 1 matched set of RAM (2x3GB) installed.

Ideally, I’d like to overclock my system to 4GHz with XMP1 enabled.  Even when I use the 4G button on my X58A-OC motherboard, the system won’t always post, and I get random windows freezes/crashes.

I thought that maybe populating 6 slots of memory might add to the instability of the system, but the system won’t post with only 3 slots occupied.  Also, my memory manufacturer recommends an XMP1 voltage setting of 1.65V, but my motherboard only allows me to choose 1.64 or 1.66 volts (those being the closest to 1.65, as other choices are available).

I’d be grateful for any suggestions, thoughts, or fresh ideas!  Thank you in advance for your help!

My System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7 Extreme 980x CPU
Intel Liquid Cooling Solution RTS2011LC Liquid cooling system
Gigabyte X58A-OC Motherboard, BIOS F3
2 kits of Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX (for a total of 12GB)
EVGA GeoForce GTX 465 in TRI-SLI
LG CH08LS10 BD-ROM/DVD-RW
Lite-On iHBS112 Blu-Ray & DVD Burner
Intel SSDSC2MH120A2 – 510 series 120GB SSD (on the Intel, NOT Marvell controller)
2 x Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB HD
2 x Western Digital  WD1002FAEX 1TB HD
Sound Blaster Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card w/ I/O
Ultra X4 Modular 1200W Power Supply

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: X58A-OC Overclocking & Memory Isuues
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:27 pm »
System wont post with only 3 slots occupied, that may be a problem!   Can you test with a single memory stick, one slot at a time, in the Orange slots.  You should be able to boot with a single stick, in any orange slot.   If you cannot when using one or two of those slots, then you may have uneven heatsink mounting pressure, or bent CPU socket pins.

We'll troubleshoot further once we know about your single stick / single slot testing results, thanks!

As for memory voltage, set 1.66 as that will be 1.645-1.65 or so anyway.

Ahh, but first! :D   Update to the latest BIOS, that BIOS is very old and may have many issues, please use the latest BIOS

Or if you want to be sure 4G button is working, I've just reported some issues a while back with older BIOSes and had this BIOS fix requested and made (F5e)
http://www.mediafire.com/?46esh6sazuz5o6z

Please update via Qflash or DOS, then once done enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS.   Once in the BIOS again set the SATA settings you need for windows to load, memory voltage, and then any other settings you like to enable/disable (NO overclock yet).  Then boot to windows, and shut down from there.  Then do the single slot, single stick memory test I mention above, thanks!

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:00 pm »
Hi,

BIOS updated to F5e, and settings made.

The computer boots to windows without issue when each of the 3 orange slots is individually populated, in at-a-time.

I apologize, as earlier I confused some terms.  I re-read my original post, and I have an edit tomake.  The computer always posts.

I should correctly state that when I have powered up with the XMP1 settings, the computer shuts down, and reboots itself automatically without having started up windows.  Then a message shows up during BIOS startup that there was an overclocking issue with the voltages.  A similar message displays in a red box when I go to the memory settings.

Sorry about by mix-up.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:13:08 am »
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarifications!

Sounds like the XMP is not working for your CPU, which does not surprise me because there's no way all CPU's will work with some pre-programmed settings.   Aside from that, the XMP you are choosing is for a single 6GB kit anyway.   You will need to set your own voltages, that is likely the main issue (QPI/Vtt voltage)

Tell me what speed you want to run your CPU at, and then I can give you a full list of settings that should get you going!

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »
Thank you again for your input.

My current update is:  all 12Gb are now recognized with the enabled XMP Profile with the updated BIOS you suggested!  :)

I didn't have success, however with the 4G button on the motherboard.

Ideally, I'd like to run the CPU at 4GHz...to be honest, I wasn't sure what my overclock cap would be...4.3 or 4.5Ghz, or something else...in your experience, do you have an "ideal" CPU speed?

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »
Hi Lsdmeasap,

What settings would you suggest for trying to overclock @ 4.0 GHz and 5.0 GHz?

Thank you!

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:34:18 pm »
Can someone please post the exact changes made in BIOS F5e. Thank you.