Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X79-UD3 sleep mode hell. Not waking and boot loops.

Dave997

GA-X79-UD3 sleep mode hell. Not waking and boot loops.
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:18:37 am »
I got this machine 2 weeks ago with the GA-X79-UD3 (f9 bios). Since day 1 it has had a problem with sleep mode resuming to a unresponsive black screen that then proceeds to go into an endless power cycle that fails to post. The only way to stop it is a hard shut down with the power button. Sometimes the computer will resume from S3 properly, other times it will resume to black screen and loop. It is literally a 50-50 chance. And the timing it decides to fail S3 resume are totally random. Sometimes it will wake fine after an entire night of sleep other times it will fail to resume after only 30 minutes of sleep. It is completely unpredictable which makes it almost impossible to really test if it is fixed or not.

I have literally tinkered with EVERY imaginable setting in my Windows power options to try and fix this, nothing has worked. At all. I recently did a Energy-Report (with cmd) and it gave me 12 errors, 3 for USB devices and 7 errors for items listed in this picture which i have no clue what they actually are, even after researching them on google which provided little info.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. As of now my settings for idle are to never allow my computer to sleep and I just have it set to turn the display and hard drives off after a certain time, with the machine staying on. At night I shut it down to s5 (which i hate) but i have no other option really. I dont want it drawing fulll power for 10-12 hours of non-use. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Operating System (Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)
Processor (Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache)))
Processor Cooling (Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - Standard 120mm Fan))
Memory (16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance))
Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - Single Card))
Power Supply (750 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2))
Motherboard ([3-Way SLI] Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 -- 4x PCI-E x16, 6x SATA 6Gb/s))
Primary Hard Drive ( 120GB ADATA S510))
Data Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )))
Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black))

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:34:37 am by Dave997 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X79-UD3 sleep mode hell. Not waking and boot loops.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:57:54 am »
Hi and welcome.

Personally I would give up on the sleep configuration and just shut the system down when you have finished with it at night. Sleep and power saving setting normally give problems and in my opinion it isn't worth the trouble.

If you are certain about using this utility then I can only suggest that you make sure thaqt your BIOS is the latest available and both BIOS chips are synchronised. Also make sure that all your other drivers are up to date too.

Make sure that if you have to update your BIOS that you don't use @BIOS but use QFlash instead as it is much more reliable. Also on the QFlash homepage disable the Keep DMI Data.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:00:38 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dave997

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:02:19 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Personally I would give up on the sleep configuration and just shut the system down when you have finished with it at night. Sleep and power saving setting normally give problems and in my opinion it isn't worth the trouble.

If you are certain about using this utility then I can only suggest that you make sure thaqt your BIOS is the latest available and both BIOS chips are synchronised. Also make sure that all your other drivers are up to date too.

Make sure that if you have to update your BIOS that you don't use @BIOS but use QFlash instead as it is much more reliable. Also on the QFlash homepage disable the Keep DMI Data.

Good luck.

thanks for the suggestion, i sort of figured it was just going to be an unsolvable situation since ive literally tried pretty much everything.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:55:32 am »
Hi and welcome.

Good luck.

I have this motherboard and is struggling with the same problem, I'm using the latest official BIOS and tried everything related to energy saving features in Windows 7. We are not alone either, googeling it I see more people having the same issue on other forums.

I have to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed that your advice is to not use the S3 mode. It's been around for a long time on motherboards and I've never had problems with it until now. It's a really useful time and energy saving feature.

This is a pretty old thread and I can't understand why this problem has not been addressed properly yet? When I buy a motherboard I do expect that if there's a problem you guys at Gigabyte will do your best to fix it. I can honestly say that if the front cover of the motherboard stated "Does not support S3 mode" I would certainly not buy it.

I apologize for sounding a bit cranky at the moment, but I'm feeling really left out in the cold here. I normally use the S3 feature all the time.

Will this bug ever be addressed or can I return it as a defective product for refund?

Kain

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:41:50 pm »
I have the same motherboard and the same problem.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:47 am »
I was rather hoping for some response from Dark Mantis regarding this issue.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:38 pm »
Bump.

Kain

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:29 am »
Someone found a solution for the sleep/wake problem on the GA-X79-UD5. Not sure if it works for the UD3...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=200238

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »
Someone found a solution for the sleep/wake problem on the GA-X79-UD5. Not sure if it works for the UD3...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=200238

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:00 am »
I'm quite new on this forum, the moderators does not seem eager to help out alot around here do they?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:53:55 am »
I'm quite new on this forum, the moderators does not seem eager to help out alot around here do they?

Well, as a Moderator, I try to do my best but we can't answer every question posted on the forum and I really don't think that I or my fellow Moderators or the other regular contributors on the forum should be expected do so either. We are mainly end-users of Gigabyte products, like yourself and not employed by Gigabyte but volunteer our time and efforts to assist with the day-today running of the forum, mainly in the area of keeping things as tidy as possible.

We don't have access to a vast array of components for testing and generally our advice comes from our experiences with our own systems and knowledge that we have built up over a period of time or from taking the time to search the internet to offer solutions.

In a situation such as the one in this thread, where there is no quick help or solution to the problem offered, you may do better if you contacted Gigabyte Technical Support for your part of the world here: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx as they do have the resources to attempt to recreate the issue and then offer a solution, rather than having a "pop" at those of us who are trying to do their best to help others.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Oups

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 08:23:12 pm »
I try to resolve this with :

Disable Memory Xmp profile 2133 to 1600 Mhz
    Sleep power cycling persist
Change Sleep State to S1 or S3
Graphic card exchange to Nvidia Geforce 8400gs
Graphic card exchange to Amd Radeon hd4850
Embedded lan 82579V disabled
Add Lan card DLink Dge-528T
Trying different Intel Rapid Storage Technology Rst/Rste
    Intel sata controller v11.6.0.1130
    Intel sata controller v3.10.1068
    Intel sata Rste v3.60.1094
    With intel software i can't enter in S4 mode, i have a black screen, psu & disk don't stop, need a hardware reset to restart.

Finally

Remove Intel Rapid Storage Technology & Return to 'Ms Serial Ata Standard AHCI 1.0'
    Sleep               OK
    Hybrid Mode     OK
    Hibernate Mode OK

Take care it's a 'dangerous data downgrade...'
You must install a different rst driver or revert back to the standard ms ahci driver before uninstall intel rst.
  See Rapid Storage 11.5a - Bugs and removal notes
  http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Rapid-Storage-11-5a-Bugs-and-removal-notes

After a return to 'Ms Sata AHCI 1.0' , a few problems persist :
  Windows Event  : 'HAL error 12' on restart
  Error persistence on log from POWERCFG.EXE /ENERGY
  BSOD on XBOOTMGR.EXE with DRIVERS option (from Windows Performance Toolkit) when the tracer restart the computer.

Hope this help...

Ga-x79-ud3 / Bios f11/ i7 3820@3.8Ghz / G.Skil F3-2133c9-4GABx4 @ 2133Mhz / Amd Radeon HD4850 / Win7 x64

PS Naturally i don't use a 'Raid Configuration'