Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EX58-UD4P and Transcend PDC3 PCIE expansion card problem

GA-EX58-UD4P and Transcend PDC3 PCIE expansion card problem
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »
First of all hello everybody...and right after that sorry if my english isn't perfect but i hope it's understandable
My PC:
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F14P Bios
CPU Intel Core i7-920
GPU Gigabyte GTX570OC in PCIE 16_2 slot
RAM 12GB Patriot Memory 1600LL (3x4)
PSU Be quiet Straight Power BQT E8 600W
PCI Card Ralink RT2760 802.11n 1T/2R CardBus Wireless Network Adapter
System SSD Ocz Vertex 2E 120GB sataII ,2 Hdd's for storage and TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA Device all conected to motherboard, not using gigabyte SataII ports

I've got strange issue with Transcend PDC3 expansion card. I was really looking forward to use USB3.0 devices and SATAIII hdd's but I'm stuck with not starting PC when this expansion card is connected. I thought for the first time that this expansion card was crippled but with the second piece same thing happenedAfter pluging the card to any available pcie slot pc won't even start after pushing power button. Same thing with F14P bios and stable F13 both with cleared CMOS and loaded optimized defaults. Even when ALL pcie and pci slots are empty and only expansion card is pluged in I have  same phase LED's lighted on my mobo and those are SB L3 phase LED(red) and two first NB phase leds 1(green) 2 (orange) from available 1,2,1,2,L1,L2,L3.on the mobo

I do everything by the TS-PDC3 manual.
Another strange thing that happened before and now with the second piece of that expansion card is that after plugin in , putting power cord to PSU and finally pushing power on PSU i could start my machine. Everything is going fine, device is detected as connected to pcie sec.gen slot and giving me information at startup that there are no devices connected to it, which is true. After that system boots fine and I can install usb3.0 and sata III drivers. I even checked if usb.3.0 is really working by putting into it my usb 3.0 pen drive. Right after that moment of joy s*** hits the fan.When I want to shut down the pc by clicking on windows bar, system normally is going off and so all things like fans,hdds etc. on mobo but after maybe 5 sec. it restart itself, and i can stop it only by turning off the PSU. When I turn off the PSU power button in that moment of silence when all things seems to be shouted down and turn it ON again i see 3 phase leds on mobo and can't turn the pc on again.Oh one last thing.With those 3 leds glowing one case fan connected to SYS FAN3 is spinning very slow.

Sorry for the long post but i tried to describe my problem the best i could.I'm out of ideas right now. It's the second piece of that expansion card that doesn't want to work with my pc. So there must be some compatibility problem, or I don't know what to switch ON/OFF in bios.

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P and Transcend PDC3 PCIE expansion card problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »
Hi ;)
I checked in the MOBO manual that PCie x1  bus is directly going to X58 chip and all the other PCIe, usb and sata ports goes to SB chip.
PCie x 1 CLK is 33 MHz other have CLK 100MHz.

PDC3 can be used in PCIE x1 slot but due to it's lenght there's not enough rooom for it so that's the only slot i didn't checked.
Still this card should work properly on other slots.
 ???

new thing
constant restart after windows shut down was caused by PME Event Wake up feature Enabled in bios Powe managment Setup.
Main problem still unsorted :-\
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:44:41 pm by afrosamurai »

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P and Transcend PDC3 PCIE expansion card problem
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:53:33 pm »
UPDATE

I bought G1.Sniper mobo. It was a bargain ;D
Transcend can  :-* my.... :o

Just because....I've checked new mobo with transcend and guess what. Same old story.
I've learned my lesson. Too bad that Sniper didn't show up earlier.
This card was a waste of money.

Oh. Today I've found a new problem with renesas usb driver 3.0 on my Sniper mobo. I was updating some drivers and by surprise I've found Code 10 error in device manager of Windows 7 x64.
This problem is on many motherboards with that chip so I will just let you know that updating to latest firmware of the chip and latest driver not from gigabyte site do the trick.

Firmware Version 4.0.1.5.0.2 (Windows 32 & 64bits)
Driver Version 2.1.32.0 Pour Windows Xp/Vista/7 32/64bits

you can download them from www.station-drivers.com

If someone found the solution by any chance please leave it here.
Some people readed this topic so I guess I'am not the only one with similar problem.;)