« on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:15 am »
Hello everyone!

Relevant PC specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte G1.Sniper2
CPU: 2600k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super overclock edition (SOC) x2 SLI
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold

The problem (Since day of purchase):
When the GPU's are stressed in any gaming application, a very audible 'buzzing/clicking noise' is heard. It is a very rapid buzzing noise, liken to electrical clicking. This noise differs in loudness by how much the GPU's are being stressed, so for high intensive games such as Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2, the 'buzzing' noise is very loud (easily heard over all system fans and a H80 CPU cooler) and very rapid. However even in games such as Minecraft, the buzzing noise is still present just less audible (but you can still hear it over all cooling). The noise is coming from the GPU section of the motherboard.

Testing:
I originally had a Corsair 1050hx PSU inside this computer. My brother with a similar computer setup, except he had Sapphire 6950 crossfire GPUS, also produced the same sound. A computer technician found it was the PSU, the PSU was RMA'd and to my amazement the noise was completely gone. CORSAIR even have a forum Sticky dedicated to this problem in their PSU. So I decided to replace my PSU (Corsair 1050hx) with a Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold and unfortunately the noise was still present (exact same).

I have removed and tested each GPU individually, 3x Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock  (one RMA'd due to faulty fan bearing). Yet still, the noise was consistent throughout.

I have now returned the computer for individual parts testing at place of purchase. The technician has tested different GPU's on the MOBO such as the GTX 560 and another GTX 580 of the same model. Still the same noise.
Furthermore, the technician has swapped out different powersupplies and even placed the GPU's and PSU onto a different Motherboard and still the same problem!

Solution???
After all the above testing, my last idea was possible VRM noise coming from the motherboard. So now I am completely lost, is it possible that the Gigabyte GPUS and Motherboard and the different brand PSUS are ALL at fault? Different configuration for these parts have shown the same problem. I've had a range of possible reasons being Coil Whine (Does this noise when Witcher 2 is run without vysch enabled, loud screeching noise), VRM noise, EMI leakage.
Good old Rodney Reynolds has stated in his videos that such noises can only be present on the MOBO/PSU/GPU due to a bad capacitor. What really drives me crazy is that on all these parts purchased, the packaging label it as "japanese sold capacitor" no noise! Wrong :(

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions please, PLEASE help! I have to call up the technician tommorow, so I'm hoping someone would have an idea as to where to go next.

Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciated.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Electrical buzzing/clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »
Hi and welcome.

The first thing that I would advise is to use a stethoscope to track down the cause/origin of the noise exactly. Once known a more exact prognosis can be made. If a stethoscope is not available try using a drinking straw or somthing similar to locate the problem exactly.

There have been noise issues before on various boards and often it is due to coil whine (sorry Rodney). Obviously a capacitor can also cause it.

Post back once you have located the source and maybe we can give more assistance.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Vezina

• If it s not broken, fix it until it is !
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:02:23 pm »
The source of that sound can be the PSU , the motherboard or the video card.
But as Dark Mantis already advised ,you should use some device to help you in locating it.

I have strange coil noise on my Sapphire 6950 in the intro movies from Crysis 2 and no matter what i ve tryed ,voltages or frequencies on the card it s there when i start that game :) It s the only game i ve encountered the problem though.

Clicking i only heard from my Corsair 650 TX after cleaning it and testing it with only one fan connected ,so maybe it is an issue caused by not enough load somewhere.It s being generated by a coil 99% .

Remake the system outside of the case on a wooden surface.
Over & Out !

AMD FX (APU-s included) users should install - KB2645594 & KB2646060 under Windows 7

1.ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 + FX 6300 + H60
2.MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate + A8 5600K + Hyper TX 2
3.Gigabyte F2A75-D3H + A4 5300
4.ASUS AM1M-A + Athlon 5150

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Hi everyone.

Wow its been almost 2 months. So here's whats happened!

I ended up returning the entire computer back to place of purchase where their technicians were able to look into it. They found that it was the GPU's and sent it back to the supplier who sent it back to manufacturer (Gigabyte)

Anyway, the GPU's both came back and had apparently been 'repaired' from manufacturer. The technician installed them back in and found that....they still do a buzzing noise.

I'm pretty shocked at this point, the process of Warranty with Gigabyte here in Australia is really messy whereby one can only go back to place of purchase rather than being able to handle the warranty claims myself. And after now 3 different GTX 580 super overclocks and 2 being having been 'repaired', the noise still persists.

Is there really anything I can do at this point? It is clearly not running as they are intended and considering how Gigabyte's warranty process is somewhat dubious on my end, its getting really frustrating. Any ideas?