Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68AP-D3 resets at post screen, can't access bios, boot loop

Just started building my new PC.  Installed memory, CPU and graphics card.  System starts, little beep from the motherboard and then I see the Gigabyte boot screen, but can't access bios, keyboard not responding.  Power then goes off automatically and system restarts again.

Tried removing the graphics card, but the problem persists.

Tried just one memory stick and then the other, but the problem persists.

Motherboard: GA-Z68AP-D3 rev 2.0
CPU: i7-3770
Memory: Corsair 8gb (2x4GB) DDR 1600Mhz CL8 1.5V
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTS 450 1GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/276562-gigabyte-ga-z68ap-d3-z68-socket-1155-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z68ap-d3
http://www.ebuyer.com/349023-intel-core-i7-3770-3-4ghz-socket-1155-8mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80637i73770
http://www.ebuyer.com/274038-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-red-vengeance-memory-kit-cl8-1-5v-cmz8gx3m2a1600c8r
http://www.ebuyer.com/238428-gigabyte-gts-450-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-mini-hdmi-out-pci-e-graphics-gv-n450-1gi
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:43:31 pm by richardys »

Fatman

Re: GA-Z68AP-D3 resets at post screen, can't access bios, boot loop
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:07:19 am »
You could try a PS2 keyboard to try get into Bios by hitting the DEL key......Some keyboards don't let you get to bios.

When you get into Bios load optimized defaults and save and reboot.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:08:20 am by Fatman »

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:30:54 am »
Yep, tried that.

It seems like a motherboard fault, so I'll have to send it back.

Vesa

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:00 am »
I had exactly same issue with my GA-Z68XP-UD3 and i5-3570K. The problem was the old BIOS version, which didn't fully support IB CPUs, so I had to flash a new one. You can't do this with your CPU, because it keeps rebooting and you are not able to start the Q-Flash. You need to get a SB CPU and then flash a new BIOS. The BIOS version you need for your new CPU is at least "FC" in your case, so check the version you have. Be sure to reset your BIOS after the flashing and then load optimized values. It should be able to boot up with your new CPU properly then.
However, this didn't solve all of my issues. I'm having severe problems with system lock-ups, BSODs etc and I'm not even trying to overlock, which does not work properly anyway as you can't set the multiplier higher then 38x... :-( I'm still not sure where is the problem, but I did spend last 2 days searching for a solution. At the moment I'm thinking about getting rid of my Z68 board and getting a Z77 one.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:58:35 am »
I had exactly same issue with my GA-Z68XP-UD3 and i5-3570K. The problem was the old BIOS version, which didn't fully support IB CPUs, so I had to flash a new one. You can't do this with your CPU, because it keeps rebooting and you are not able to start the Q-Flash. You need to get a SB CPU and then flash a new BIOS. The BIOS version you need for your new CPU is at least "FC" in your case, so check the version you have. Be sure to reset your BIOS after the flashing and then load optimized values. It should be able to boot up with your new CPU properly then.
However, this didn't solve all of my issues. I'm having severe problems with system lock-ups, BSODs etc and I'm not even trying to overlock, which does not work properly anyway as you can't set the multiplier higher then 38x... :-( I'm still not sure where is the problem, but I did spend last 2 days searching for a solution. At the moment I'm thinking about getting rid of my Z68 board and getting a Z77 one.

Thank you for your reply, I'll try that!

Pelle

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:44:54 pm »
Hi,
I have also run in to this delicate problem. Last week I upgraded my PC with mobo: GA-P67A-DB-B3, cpu: Intel Core I7 3770 and memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3 XMS3. When I start the PC all fans starts to spin, I get the Bios beep and the Gigabyte BIOS screen shows but keyboard does not respond so I can't access bios. Then after some seconds it shuts down and restart again. I have isolated the problem to mobo or cpu. I have no option of temporarily using my old cpu since this is a 775 socket cpu so I'm kind of stuck.
Could this really be caused by an old bios version not supporting Intel Core I7 3770? In that case I have to buy two cpu's. One old to be able to access and upgrade bios to be able to use the new one. Is this for real!?
I have tried to contact Gigabyte tech support but to do that I have to type my mobos current bios version....

Any ideas what I can do?