Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77x-UD5H hangs on power up debug code A6(b?) Brand new build

Hello,
I apoligize if this is a duplicate thread.

So, the truth is I have no real business trying to build a gaming PC without help. Bu I tried anyway.

Finally got all my components together

Mobo: Gigabyte z77X-UD5h
CPU: Ivy Bridge 3770s(yes, I now understand I shouldn't have gotten the s for a gaming pc)
GPU: EVGA 570 2.5 gb
PSU: XFX 850w Pro Series 80 bronze
SSD: 128 GB crucial(i currently have no mechanical HDD hooked up)
RAM: Mushkn Ridgeback 8GB(2x4GB)...the number 1600 comes to mind here
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Optical: Cheap Blu Ray player (HP)

So here is the problem.  I turn it on and I can see it booting up via the debug LED that is on the Mobo.  The problem is that I never see the POST screen on my monitor(the monitor goes to sleep after scanning for DVI/HDMA/VGA).

Keyboard turns on(led's anyway)  So does mouse.

Nothing on monitor and the debug LED stays on A6(or it could be Ab, but I don't see that code in th book, I see AB).

According to the manual, A6 is part of the normal process, but not the end of it. The description of A6 is "detect and install all currently SCSI devices"

However, directly before going to A6, the debug says A9 which is described as "Bios setup is started"

Any thoughts, suggestions? I am extrelmely grateful for any advice.

Re: Z77x-UD5H hangs on power up debug code A6(b?) Brand new build
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:20:07 pm »
Well don't i feel like an (even bigger) idiot...

So, I had my HDMI plugged into the Mobo connection, no my video card. I realized this, swithced the HDMI to my GPU connector, and it detected!  Now, if I can avoid any other self made issues, I will be happy!

Thanks.

Silks

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59:58 am »
Although the original poster seems to have solved this problem for himself, I am experiencing the EXACT same symptoms he described above.

- Mobo seems to go through POST (gives a short beep)
- The debug LED stops on A6, after displaying A9, and goes no further.
- Monitor simply displays an empty, blue screen
- Keyboard has Numlock light lit.  (Keyboard works on my older pc fine)
- I can open and close my DVD burner tray, fans are running, etc.

My setup so far:
Mobo:  Gigabyte Z77X-UD5
CPU:  Intel Sandy Bridge i-5 2500k
GPU:  N/A
PSU:  Thermaltake TR2 600W
RAM:  Corsair 2x4GB Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz
Case:  Coolermaster Elite 431 plus
Optical:  LG Supermulti DVD burner
HDD:  Western Digital 750GB Cavier Blue SATA 6Gb/s (new blank drive)

I've tried disconnecting components one by one and powering back on only to receive the same result each time.  I've tried clearing CMOS using the button and even taking the battery out for hours.  I've tried both the main and backup BIOS on the board.

The only time I received a different result was the first time I tried booting into either BIOS, before I cleared the CMOS.  However, the computer didn't go to BIOS then either.  It went to a black MS-DOS like screen that told me to "reboot...press any key..." referring to loading an OS.  The debug code at that time was AE (Boot to Legacy OS)

I would gladly update my BIOS if I could actually get to Qflash.  But until I can actually start the BIOS I'm stuck.  I feel I've exhausted all my troubleshooting ideas.  Any suggestions or ideas please?   

Silks

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:42:15 am »
Wow... I just had an "are you serious?!" moment.

I had a sinking suspicion that the A6 code was really Ab (AB), which means the BIOS is waiting for my input.  The real issue was my freaking monitor not displaying the BIOS screen properly.  I'm using an old HP CRT through the VGA.  I found that if you have the monitor plugged into the Mobo BEFORE powering on, the monitor displays a blank blue screen.  I had to actually turn the Mobo on first, let it POST, and THEN plug the VGA cable in.  The monitor then displayed the BIOS instead of just blue emptiness.  So everything seems good now.  Man, I was really worried too...

iMan_

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:36 pm »
Hello,

I am very new to building a PC and would appreciate the help! :)

I am glad you guys have fixed your problem, but I am not able to get past this point. :(

I have the same "Ab" displayed, the only difference is I don't hear the POST beep and I don't see anything on my monitor. I have tried both my GPU and also the onboard graphics. Ive tried with DVI and HDMI.    :-\

Question:
- Does the Mobo come with a built in speaker, casue I didn't see a speaker to connect in the box.  ???
- What does it mean "Ab = Wait user command in BIOS Setup."? what am i suppose to do. Should I boot from the second BIOS? How do I do this?

MOBO manual: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z87x-ud5-th_e.pdf

Thanks again

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »
I have the same problem.  I have an AB? (Ab) or A6? (it looks like Ab) hangup on boot up and it doesn't matter what monitor is used.  The monitor says no connection and then turns off, with motherboard hanging at what looks like Ab.  There needs to be better quality control on the translations that occur in the books with Gigabyte.  "Ab = Wait user command in BIOS Setup." IS NOT HELPFUL at all and is going to kill future business for Gigabyte if they don't start doing some quality control on the communication issues.  I am a computer professional and I don't have a clue what they are talking about.

This is going to start hurting their customer base (once the numbers start dropping, it becomes a very long term difficult chore to regain your reputation, and reputation is all that stands between you (Gigabyte Mother Boards) and the next guy (Other Motherboard Manufacturers)).  Hopefully I get a response quite quick so I can help my customer and not have to start recommending and building computers with Mother boards other than Gigabyte.   ???
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:14:02 pm by M98Ranger »

diokan

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:30:29 am »
I have the same problem.  I have an AB? (Ab) or A6? (it looks like Ab) hangup on boot up and it doesn't matter what monitor is used.  The monitor says no connection and then turns off, with motherboard hanging at what looks like Ab.  v

I'm having the same problem with a GA-Z87X-UD3H.  boots up fine into Windows, however if I boot up into BIOS the screen goes black.  I'm using the DVI-D port with just integrated graphics.  If I plug in my old D-Sub port monitor, the BIOS is viewable no problem.   It looks like the video signal is not being sent to the DVI-D port until windows boots.  That's pretty unacceptable.  Updated BIOS to F8 to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't.

ac

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:24:14 am »
I had the same problem, the bios screen, or post screen would not show up on my monitor. Your monitor might not be able to sync to that certain frequency or driver can be set wrong.  In my case I had bad capacitors in my monitor that caused the problem.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:26:11 am by ac »

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 02:49:16 pm »
Hello,
I apoligize if this is a duplicate thread.

So, the truth is I have no real business trying to build a gaming PC without help. Bu I tried anyway.

Finally got all my components together

Mobo: Gigabyte z77X-UD5h
CPU: Ivy Bridge 3770s(yes, I now understand I shouldn't have gotten the s for a gaming pc)
GPU: EVGA 570 2.5 gb
PSU: XFX 850w Pro Series 80 bronze
SSD: 128 GB crucial(i currently have no mechanical HDD hooked up)
RAM: Mushkn Ridgeback 8GB(2x4GB)...the number 1600 comes to mind here
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Optical: Cheap Blu Ray player (HP)

So here is the problem.  I turn it on and I can see it booting up via the debug LED that is on the Mobo.  The problem is that I never see the POST screen on my monitor(the monitor goes to sleep after scanning for DVI/HDMA/VGA).

Keyboard turns on(led's anyway)  So does mouse.

Nothing on monitor and the debug LED stays on A6(or it could be Ab, but I don't see that code in th book, I see AB).

According to the manual, A6 is part of the normal process, but not the end of it. The description of A6 is "detect and install all currently SCSI devices"

However, directly before going to A6, the debug says A9 which is described as "Bios setup is started"

Any thoughts, suggestions? I am extrelmely grateful for any advice.

Sorry to reopen this, especially if it has been solved, but I have had, and resolved the same issue. With the monitor plugged in, I was only getting to the debug code a9, with it unplugged I would get to a6. At a6, I would see a flashing cursor on the screen and nothing else. with it plugged in the whole time I would first hang up on 62, then move to a9 after a few other stops. This issue persisted until I went in and checked my connections.

It was after spelunking into my cables that I realized that my sata cable had somehow freed itself of its connection with my hard-drive. I powered off (on the PSU), plugged the sata back in and powered back on. I pushed the power button on the case and the first boot stopped short and everything turned back off. Despairingly, I decided to try to power it on again. Low and behold, the computer turned on and here I am.

Tl;Dr: check your sata connections and, if you feel like it, unplug and re-plug them (with PSU off of course)