Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem flashing new BIOS w/ GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V rev 1.0

Problem flashing new BIOS w/ GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V rev 1.0
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:32 am »
I have a GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V Sata3 Motherboard Rev 1.0. I know its 1.0 cause it says so on the box and it says so on the bottom left of the motherboard. I am trying to update the BIOS. The default BIOS that came with the board is F3. These are the steps I took.

1. Downloaded F6 BIOS from http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4151#bios

2. Noted Md5 checksum of b75md3v.f6 as 60e36cef50a560dc1a73544be4999fd2

3. Formatted a USB thumb drive to FAT32

4. Copied b75md3v.f6 to the USB Thumb drive on the bottom level (only file on drive)

5. Rebooted and pressed END to boot into QFlash

6. Selected my thumb drive then the b75md3v.f6

7. I get the message "!!! WARNING !!! Invalid BIOS Image."

8. Reboot =/

9. The MD5 of  b75md3v.f6 on my flash drive has changed to 9533f4b7881845afe923fa4204e7ca61 ??? WTF???

I have quintuple checked these exact steps.

I have also triple checked the model and revision number of my motherboard by examining the box and the motherboard.

I have also attempted 3 times to flash the F5 BIOS today with the same results.

Why isn't QFlash working with the correct BIOS file for my motherboard?

RobD

Re: Problem flashing new BIOS w/ GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V rev 1.0
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:09:50 pm »
This caused me to re-visit the flashing behavior on the assassin and even though mine loads fine, it also changed the file on the sd card after the flash - different md5 and data in hex edit with some areas F'ed out [FFh].
I tried putting the sd card into write protect mode and it still flashed the same, but of course now the file was not altered.
Even saving bios would produce yet another different file, but this may be quite normal, though I would be very reluctant to backwards flash using a saved bios.

Another observation was that my Silverstone FP34 usb bay which plugs to an onboard usb header was not recognised by q-flash, flash bios and save bios did nothing, i could only exit q-flash. I had to use my external multi-card reader.

So, maybe try a sd card and reader, see if that works, or a different thumb drive.

Re: Problem flashing new BIOS w/ GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V rev 1.0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:33:24 am »
Hey RobD

Thanks for the reply. I think I have figured out the problem... not too happy.

Well I used @BIOS, even though it freaks me out a bit. I downloaded the F6 BIOS from the server through @BIOS. When I went to install, a window popped up stating that the NAME of the file was not recognized, and asked me if I wanted to proceed anyways.  Well I figured it was directly from Gigabyte, so I said YES, and the BIOS updated without error. I now have the F6 BIOS.

What I can infer from this is perhaps the BIOS update requires an exact named followed by the firmware number, and b75md3v.f6, the exact name of the file I tried to flash in QFlash and DOS, did not meet the naming requirement for the motherboard, so the update software rejected installing it, even though it was the right file. @BIOS seemed to not care, although it did alert me that the name of the file was not recognized, which was odd.

If this is true, then Gigabyte would have to look at this issue and check the filenames to see if they're correct or not.

Other than that, I am at a loss for other possible explanations. I rest assured that the file I originally downloaded was indeed the correct file for this motherboard
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:35:47 am by WhollyBabel »