Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77-DS3H -- Updated BIOS -- now OS won't boot

Z77-DS3H -- Updated BIOS -- now OS won't boot
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:12:41 am »
I tried to update my BIOS from F3 to F6 using the @BIOS utility. The install went fine but upon reboot the OS wouldn't load. Blue screens caused the computer to reboot and go into the "start-up repair" wizard within Windows 7. Tried to system restore but it did nothing.

Tried using the Q-Flash utility to roll back to F3, no luck. Tried using the CMOS jumper as well as removing the CMOS battery, no luck (these don't seem to reset the BIOS version, but only the settings and system time/date?). I can get into the BIOS but I cannot boot. It gets to "Windows is loading files" and then jumps straight to a screen asking me to restart my computer and insert a bootable device.

What the hell can I do? If rolling it back to the original BIOS version didn't work, and removing the CMOS battery didn't work, is there anything left to try?

Re: Z77-DS3H -- Updated BIOS -- now OS won't boot
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:27:46 am »
I had this problem with my Z77-D3H board trying to go from F13 to F14.  I had to reformat and clear the CMOS.  It kept the F14 BIOS and everything is fine now.  Just don't use @BIOS.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:12:40 pm »
How did you reformat? The windows install disc doesnt even seem to recognize the disk drive.

Seriously doubting ever buying a gigabyte mobo again.

TFisher

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:39:30 pm »
The problem isnt the motherboard. Using @bios is a crapshoot. Sometimes you win,sometimes you lose.

Using QFlash is the best way. I read a lot of info before deciding to use QFlash for updating my bios, No issues at all.

One of the mods will most likely have an answer for you. Be patient.

You could try this if you havent yet.

BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
 Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
 2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
 3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
 4. The board will shut down.
 5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
 6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:25:06 pm by TFisher »
Asus Z270 Prime A/i7- 6700k / Corsair H110/Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250gig/3x Seagate 1tb Storage/16 gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800/Asus GTX 1070 8GB OC/Corsair AX 760i PSU/Logitech Z-5500 Sound/Win 10 x64 /Corsair 780T Case/48" Sony monitor/

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:11 am »
Those steps successfully reverted the BIOS, but it still asks me to "insert a bootable device or reboot and choose a boot device."

its not recognizing my hard drive or some reason, even if i put the windows 7 install disk in, it doesnt recognize there being a HDD attached to my computer

considering a boot n nuke and attempting reinstall the OS, but thats kind of a last ditch effort, which would be a huge disappointment if it erased all my data and STILL failed to be recognized by the OS install disc

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:24 pm »
I was also recommended to try changing the HDD configurations in the BIOS to IDE (I'm not sure what they are set at currently) but I will try this tonight and post if anything changes.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »
I've also been having the same problem (with jsut the D3H board), except the power on/off doesn't work for me.  I originally updated my BIOS to the F14 from 13 after a reformat.  Went to reboot and it BSODs on the windows startup screen with the flying icons.  I actually got so fed up with it one night I just went to bed and the next morning it started up fine.  I had updated through @BIOS, never again.  I went this afternoon and downloaded the F13 BIOS and saved it to a USB and Q-flashed, but now it has started the BSOD again.

I'm very confused on this.  The only thing I still think is wrong is that it would never let me install the drivers for the VGA (from the CPU) and BIOS from my desktop (I did the BIOS driver all the time from the desktop on my old board).  This is what it says every time I try:

BIOS Installation Error:
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

VGA (for CPU) Installation Error:
This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

Don't get it and when I contacted gigabyte over the phone the guy said there is only 1 version of BIOS, no 32/64-bit.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:19 pm »
It gave me that error, too, when I tried to run the new BIOS files through windows. I think it gives that error because that is the incorrect way to install the BIOS.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:50 am »
I'm back in business now so this is my update for the topic and then I'm outtie.

After several days of frustration I ordered a solid state drive, since I'd been meaning to do it for a while. I installed the SSD, cleared the CMOS, and set the boot order so the SSD was the boot drive and the problem drive was disabled as a boot device.

I then installed windows on the SSD, and formatted the problem drive. Now I am 100% up and running in all aspects, just without any of my original files or folders from the problem drive since I was forced to format.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T UPDATE YOUR BIOS WITH @BIOS. OR JUST DON'T UPDATE YOUR BIOS AT ALL.

ex58

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:27:33 am »

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T UPDATE YOUR BIOS WITH @BIOS. OR JUST DON'T UPDATE YOUR BIOS AT ALL.
Hmm,I flashed my  BIOS every 2-3 days.  ::)

TFisher

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:03:34 pm »
So many bad stories about using @Bios.
I'm glad everything is running smooth for you now.

Good luck. ;)
Asus Z270 Prime A/i7- 6700k / Corsair H110/Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250gig/3x Seagate 1tb Storage/16 gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800/Asus GTX 1070 8GB OC/Corsair AX 760i PSU/Logitech Z-5500 Sound/Win 10 x64 /Corsair 780T Case/48" Sony monitor/

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »
I know this is an old question, but I´m sure that all your problems are not related to the BIOS update per se, probably all of you are using Windows Vista or later and using AHCI mode on your SATA adapters. After BIOS update, default values are loaded and AHCI mode is changed to IDE mode, so your Windows crashes at startup with a blue screen. This is a common mistake, and may occur when switching AHCI to IDE or vice versa. You must always keep the mode in which the operating system has been installed.

Hope that helps someone even if late.

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 10:54:54 pm »
I know this is an old question, but I´m sure that all your problems are not related to the BIOS update per se, probably all of you are using Windows Vista or later and using AHCI mode on your SATA adapters. After BIOS update, default values are loaded and AHCI mode is changed to IDE mode, so your Windows crashes at startup with a blue screen. This is a common mistake, and may occur when switching AHCI to IDE or vice versa. You must always keep the mode in which the operating system has been installed.

Hope that helps someone even if late.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I was freaking out after updating and then found this, everything worked perfect after switching back from IDE to AHCI