Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77-DS3H win 7 pro cannot initialize drive!

GA-Z77-DS3H win 7 pro cannot initialize drive!
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:40:44 pm »
I've been racking my brain and have seen several similar posts but no real resolution- only conjecture....

I got my new pc and had to install EVERYTHING.... updates and all... I figured when I got it from cyber-you know who it would be done... wrong! Ive built my own for years but just didnt have the time and wanted a warranty. So, here we go... this is the first time I have not bought a intel mob too....I wonder if it was a mistake... I hear great things about gigabyte tho so----

Anyway: out of the box, went though hell trying to get all of the updates that required previous updates in order to update the updates....I know youve been there! finally got them all in and installed good to go! Next I got the storage drive 1 tb WD formatted on my other PC and slapped that badboy into my new pc only to have her fold like a lawn chair. The computer did not like the WD at all... After numerous attempts to get the pc to boot up, I assume it figure out the new configuration on its own because it started working.... after several restarts.

by the way, im running a 250ish gb SSD as boot drive.

I created a shortcut on the desktop to the storage drive and Off I go.  Over the next week I noticed that sometimes I could access the drive (where my music was) and sometimes I couldn't. I had allocated it as my location to store periodic backups.

So, I decided to get into the bios and see if it was mapped correctly and all. Well, the first rev or two of firmware on the board doesnt have usb support. so, no keyboard = no navigating! I tried a ps2 keyboard and guess what? no keyboard! screaming and bashing my head on the desk because I didnt buy an intel, I called gigabyte. The woman was very helpful and told me I needed firmware F9 (latest for win7). it fixes usb support. So I installed it and lo and behold I had a keyboard! unfortunately everything was right.

I called cyber-youknow who and they swore to me that my hdd was going bad since it was sporadic in its ops so even though I had seen several posts regarding this issue I let them charge my card (hold) and they send me a brand new drive. I figured that maybe I should use that machine to format it for itself. So, I did, it formatted, got squirrely at the end but I named it "g" or something pretty far from the area where I might plug and play some other items.

So now I have the new drive, it is formatted and it WILL NOT INITIALIZE! The message says that there is an IO addressing error! so.... I am wondering if the drive allocation is just looking at the incorrect address and if #1 gigabyte people know there is an offset issue #2 if it is something if I can change without destroying it(or even want to) #3 where it would need to be assigned based on the sata port..... #4 why would I have to do this in the first place!?!?

To make matters worse, I apparently voided my warranty with cyberpower because I upgraded the bios firmware- heaven forbid I want want to navigate my bios in a machine I paid 1800 bucks for.... I will never buy a pc again- Im back to building my own. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

ysw

Re: GA-Z77-DS3H win 7 pro cannot initialize drive!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:48:17 am »
did u try to use diskpart to clean your 1TB WD hdd?
go to command prompt to type diskpart
list disk
and then select your 1TB WD HDD; for example, from the list disk, your WD hdd may be disk 1
so you type select disk 1
type clean
type exit
then go to disk mgt to format it again.

btw, do you install all drivers for m/b?

Re: GA-Z77-DS3H win 7 pro cannot initialize drive!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
they were both brand new hdd's.... is it necessary to do diskpart and clean them? why wouldnt it work?

I used the @bios tool to run the bios update because well, I had no keyboard support...

maybe a stupid question.... what drivers are you referring to? the "see my hdd" driver? cause I need that one!