Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68X-UD3H-B3 (U1H BIOS) cold boot problem

Z68X-UD3H-B3 (U1H BIOS) cold boot problem
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
Hi guys,

I have the Z68X-UD3H-B3 (on the latest U1H BIOS which I flashed from F11 IIRC) hoping to fix a weird cold boot issue I have.

Basically, most of the time I turn the computer on there will be no display on my monitor and after about 4 attempts the BIOS will reset to default settings (whereupon I can enter the BIOS and restore my usual settings and boot successfully).

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this particular problem as I am starting to get to the point of simply selling it on and getting an MSI or something...

My hardware:

Z68X-UD3H-B3
i5 2500k @ 4.40Ghz (I know the CPU is stable at this frequency from previous builds)
G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1600Mhz (again this memory is from previous builds and totally stable)
Crucial M4
Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200
MSI Lightning 7970

TJ07 with custom watercooling

I had heard somewhere that both the main AND backup BIOS should be flashed.  As far as I know I have only flashed the main BIOS.  Could this be related somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am nearly at my wit's end!

Thank you

Tom

Re: Z68X-UD3H-B3 (U1H BIOS) cold boot problem
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
OK, I THINK I have fixed my issue.

I was messing around with BIOS Settings and thought I might try fiddling with RAM timings.  I DISABLED the XMP Profile for my RAM on this motherboard and I am 10 cold boots in now without the issue.

Strange huh?  Maybe XMP was setting the RAM timings too agressively?  For now, I am leaving the timings on AUTO as it seems to be resolved.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:33:51 am »
Spoke to soon it seems.

Still have same problem - the system fails to POST properly.  It will restart several times and then a screen will come up with:

Gigabyte Dual UEFI BIOS

At the top.  Then it will restart again and finally get to the proper BIOS.

Here is what I am presented with then:

Obviously, one would conclude there is a problem with a setting somewhere in my BIOS but I have literally gone through every single one and see no obvious anomalies.

Any ideas guys?

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »
A reply would be greatly appreciated I am still experiencing this issue even after updating to the beta BIOS on TweakTown (U1J iirc).

Many thanks

Tom

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:19:39 am »
Hi there,

I too have experienced this with the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard with U1e BIOS, running the same CPU as you. It's very frustrating and so far I have not been able to resolve the issue.

Like you, I thought that the XMP profile was causing the problem initially but setting the system to optimized defaults only cured the problem temporarily and even setting the RAM timings manually didn't help, with the system constantly rebooting on start up and with occasional O/C warnings when it finally decides to work, which is very frustrating especially as the system is not O/C'd at all. However, once the system has thrown its hissy fit and BOOTS everything is working fine.

Sadly I haven't been in a position to expend a lot of time on trying to get to the bottom of this issue so I do not have a fix or reason why this is happening and I don't think flashing back to the AWARD BIOS will help as this is one of the main reasons I wanted to switch to the AMI BIOS in the first place.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »
[Thanks for the reply.  It is good to hear it is not just me experiencing the issue.

I am about ready to throw this Motherboard out of the window ATM.

Currently on the latest beta BIOS (U1J IIRC?) and am still having the colt boot problem.

Frustratingly, I know it is not my other hardware as I only upgraded the motherboard to the UD3H.  I do an upgrade rotation on my systems and this Motherboard is set to go into my main DAW once my gaming machine (where the motherboard is installed currently) is due an upgrade.

I cannot afford to risk putting this board in a machine that I use professionally.  Can we get a Gigabyte rep on here to clarify the situation?  I deal a lot with legal issues so have no problem dragging this through Court if required.

Cheers

Tom]

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:03:29 am »
This may be off in left field but is there a chance you have both the Intel and Marvell controllers set to RAID? My board would tell me it couldn't find a hard drive to load windows from a cold boot.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:18:06 am »
I have exactly the same problem (since July) but with Z77X-UD3H.  After weeks I figure out that the problem is with compatibility Gigabyte motherboards with memory. In my case 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. I borrow from my friend Elixir Nanya and GoodRam memory and the problem gone. Only with Corsair sometimes I have problems with starting up computer. I’ve send many e-mails to Gigabyte (GGTS gigabyte) but they ignore this problem. GA-Z77X-UD3H is my last Gigabyte motherboard.

P.S. Sorry for my english

Benz

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 11:09:15 am »
Set your multiplier at 44 and leave the voltages as they are. I have the same issue on my GA-Z68XP-UD3P with UEFI BIOS if I fiddle with the voltages.