Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard Problem

Motherboard Problem
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »
Hi,

I was adding a new cable to my PSU to power my CD/DVD Reader, when plugging in the cable to both the PSU and DVD reader and starting the PC it would start for a second then stop, so i switched the cables spot on the PSU to another spare one and attempted to restart when i restarted again the PC started sparking at the back of the motherboard right above the CPU Socket on the Gigabyte X79-UD5 motherboard. what appears to be damaged is 2 or so of the black chips that sit above the CPU socket at the back of the motherboard. Is my CPU / Graphics cards / Ram / HDD / SSD fine??????
Also am i protected by warrenty or anything if its the PSU's fault? or anything like that?

also note the PC was running perfect for months on end until i attempted to power the CD / DVD Reader

Specs:
x79-ud5
2x GTX 680
PSU thermaltake 875w

Benz

Re: Motherboard Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:19:59 am »
Send your board back, that's not an old board so it still has warranty.

And yes your other components should be fine because your PSU has a surge protection. It was probably a faulty cable so use another one and toss that one in a trash can when you get a new board.

Re: Motherboard Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:20:11 pm »
So i should throw out the cable i was using to try and power the CD drive? Why would it destroy the motherboard though? when the only thing the cable is connected too is the CD drive and the PSU.