Official GIGABYTE Forum

SSD and my Seagate 1TB internal hard drives

SSD and my Seagate 1TB internal hard drives
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:09:18 am »
  Guys
I purchased the GA-Z77X-UD3H Mobo, the intel i5-3570K processor, 16gb of ddr3 memory, OCZ 120gb ssd drive, 2 seagate 1 tb (each) internal drives, Windows 7 home premium. My problem is I cannot get the internal H drives to work when I have the SSD hook up. I have tried several different ways of hooking them to the sata connections on my mobo and for some reason windows rapid storage recognizes them bu tmy windows7 will not recognize them.  I have spent hours on the phone with Seagate and that poor girl tried everything to get them to work as back up drives. If I unhook the ssd drive and only use my 2, 1 tb drives  then everything works fine, until i hook up the ssd then it's not recognized either. Is there something i'm not doing right? Is this board "BAD"? Mt 2nd issue is if I hook up the front panel switches( reset switch, hdd light, and power switch) my system just keeps rebooting and rebooting and rebooting. I tried other switches and they do the same thing. Anyone else having this issue? Is this board fried? Am i doing something wrong? Please help or point me to someones elses article with the answers PLEAZ, I love my gigabyte mobo's so I don't want to trade it in for another manufacturers.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: SSD and my Seagate 1TB internal hard drives
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »
Hi and welcome.

If I take your second point first I would think it is highly likely that you have a duff switch or short on the wiring to it so try swapping the swithces out.

As for your SSD problem why would you think it was the motherboard ? Anyway the most likely thing is that the SSD needs it's firmware updated or it is just incompatible with the optical drive.

OCZ SSDs often suffer from firmware problems so I would try that first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:59:04 pm »
for some reason my computer needs to restart  itself a couple of times before it will actually boot up into windows.I have replaced the switch and it does the same thing, boots into the splash screen,then instantly goes into the bios screen and  at that time it instantly reboots, after it does that 2, maybe 3 times it will then boot into windows normally and I can't figure it out. As for the SSD i am leaning towards the MOBO because if i unhook the ssd from the  mobo then I have no issues with the 2 one TB HDD, they are recognized  and are showing  in my bios, windows,  and  intel rapid storage.If I unhook the 2 hard  drives and just hook up the ssd then it too is recognized by  my bios, windows and  intel rapid storage. Now if I hook up my SSD to SATA 0 and my hdd to sata 1  then intel rapid storage will recognize the  hdd but with errors saying USAGE:  UNKNOWN. Disk management wont recognize it. ive also tried using sata 2,3,4,5 with no luck either.BAsically if I have the SSD hooked up at all the HDD will not work and if I have the  HDD hooked up then the SSD wont work. I want to use the SSD  for my main boot disk and my 2,1 tb hdd's as back ups.  Can I get this sytem to work that way?

unknown

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:06:42 pm »
for some reason my computer needs to restart  itself a couple of times before it will actually boot up into windows.I have replaced the switch and it does the same thing, boots into the splash screen,then instantly goes into the bios screen and  at that time it instantly reboots, after it does that 2, maybe 3 times it will then boot into windows normally and I can't figure it out. As for the SSD i am leaning towards the MOBO because if i unhook the ssd from the  mobo then I have no issues with the 2 one TB HDD, they are recognized  and are showing  in my bios, windows,  and  intel rapid storage.If I unhook the 2 hard  drives and just hook up the ssd then it too is recognized by  my bios, windows and  intel rapid storage. Now if I hook up my SSD to SATA 0 and my hdd to sata 1  then intel rapid storage will recognize the  hdd but with errors saying USAGE:  UNKNOWN. Disk management wont recognize it. ive also tried using sata 2,3,4,5 with no luck either.BAsically if I have the SSD hooked up at all the HDD will not work and if I have the  HDD hooked up then the SSD wont work. I want to use the SSD  for my main boot disk and my 2,1 tb hdd's as back ups.  Can I get this sytem to work that way?

I remember having some what of a similar issue however maybe not exact. Are all of your SATA ports set to IDE? I had to set a couple of my SATA ports to AHCI for my SSD to fully work. 

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:51 pm »
Hi there,

you don't state which BIOS version you are running but if it is not the F18 or F19e beta BIOS then I would suggest that you update to either of these and see if this helps at all.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.