Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB 3.0 Ports not working with USB 3.0 Hard Drives on Gigabyte Z77-D3H

I have revision 1.0 and updated the Bios from F16 to F18 but I still have the same problem.

My Freecom USB 3.0 hard drive (2TB) and Hitachi 3TB Touro USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive (3TB) have the following problems:

The drives don't appear when connected to any of the motherboard's USB 3.0 ports. I can sometimes hear the USB noise that signifies when you've made a connection. It goes on but the drive doesn't appear then several seconds later I hear the noise
again as if I disconnected it or like there's not enough power.

I also have a USB 3.0 card and the same thing happens with that as does a 2 port panel on the front of my case which came with my case.

All 4 USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard work with my USB 3.0 hard drives.

I also have a 4 port USB 2.0 front panel that came with my PC case. For my USB 3.0 Hard Drive's only the bottom right and bottom left port works.

I have attached a screenshot of Device Manager. I don't know what the unknown device is supposed to be for.

Notes

I have Windows 7 with Service Pack 1

All ports on my PC are working when not connected to USB Hard Drives.

All the USB 3.0 motherboard ports work when connected to a USB 3.0 flash drive (I get around 90 MB/s transfer speed which may suggest there may not be enough power going to the USB 3.0 ports for the USB hard drives. However in the front panel USB 3.0 slots, the flash drive only works on the left USB 3.0 slot and not in the right slot.

The USB 3.0 cables are only 1 metre long and came with my hard drives.

I've installed the Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller as well as the Intel one. I also installed the USB 3 stuff that came on another disc.

Both USB 3.0 Hard Drives work fine on my old PC when connected to USB 2.0 ports.

I tried disconnecting the USB 3.0 card and all the ports that came with my case but that made no difference.

I updated the motherboard from F16 to F18 but that made no difference.

This is the first time I've built a PC but I'm sure I connected everything and there's nothing to even connect in regard to the motherboard USB 3.0 ports as they're already a part of the motherboard!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:49:00 pm by holygamer »

Rhossydd

Re: USB 3.0 Ports not working with USB 3.0 Hard Drives on Gigabyte Z77-D3H
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:46:06 pm »
My sympathies with this. I've spent hours trying to get the ports on my board (ga-z77x-d3h rev 1.0) working as they should.

Which motherboard revision do you have ?

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 07:49:30 pm »
I have revision 1.0 and updated the Bios from F16 to F18 but I still have the same problem.

Rhossydd

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »
Sorry, no solutions here.
My dealer is taking my board back as a RMA and I'm getting a rev 1.1 board to replace it. Interestingly the one major difference between 1 & 1.1 is that it has more power inputs on the board from the PSU. It will be interesting to see if this resolves my issues. As it seems to be about powered/unpowered devices on the USB3 ports.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:08:42 pm »
So the Rev 1.1 board has more power for the USB 3.0 ports is that correct? Where can I buy the Rev 1.1 in the UK? I can't find it on Amazon or anywhere else.

Rhossydd

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:50:48 pm »
So the Rev 1.1 board has more power for the USB 3.0 ports is that correct?
I can't say that, it's just pure speculation on my part.
Gigabyte don't publish much in the way of details with their motherboard revisions.
Where can I buy the Rev 1.1 in the UK? I can't find it on Amazon or anywhere else.
Motherboard revisions aren't specified in sales spec, just model numbers.
I believe that all Z77x-D3Hs in the sales channel are now the latest rev1.1. boards. I'll confirm that once the new one I've ordered from Amazon turns up next week, if it's old 1.0 stock they can have it back.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:53:44 pm »
I just bought my motherboard from Amazon on 4th October and it was revision 1.0. I think I'm going to look for a motherboard from another manufacturer.

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:18 pm »
I just bought my motherboard from Amazon on 4th October and it was revision 1.0.
They still are sending out rev 1.0 boards. Just sent one back for a refund.