Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-UD7 rev 1.0 -- Won't start up

AdamR

X58A-UD7 rev 1.0 -- Won't start up
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »
I've come across a fault with my Gigabyte X58A-UD7 (revision 1) motherboard. When I attempt to power it on the PSU immediately turns off the computer, likely for some safety reason. I can hear the PSU making 2 clicks (relays) to instantly shut it off.

When I plug in the power cable the LED for the power and CMOS reset buttons turn on. When I press a power button (either on the motherboard itself or the case) only two of the DDR Phase LED's come on -- yellow. None of the devices get given any power (fans, hard disks, etc).

I have tried:
  • Two different PSU's: CoolerMaster RealPower M8850 and Corsair Gold Series AX850
  • Powering on with just 1 stick of memory -- usually 6
  • Powering on with no graphics card
  • Powering on with no hard disks or peripherals connected
  • Resetting the CMOS via the button on the back panel
The BIOS was already at the latest (F9A). I'd guess the motherboard is knackered.

Is this a small issue I could likely fix myself, or will I need to send the motherboard to Gigabyte? I purchased it in September 2010 mind so warranty has probably expired by now. Alternatively I'd rather replace it for the X58A-UD5 (revision 2) model. My server has that and it has been much less of a problem over the years. I'd imagine X58 based motherboards (socket 1366) are hard to come across now though.

AdamR

Re: X58A-UD7 rev 1.0 -- Won't start up
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:49:34 pm »
I tried leaving the CMOS battery out overnight. Motherboard still fails to POST with either PSU, and it just shows code 88 on it's diagnostic LED display. This code isn't in the manual...
The Corsair PSU also failed the paperclip test, just clicks twice with the fan starting and stopping again within half a second.

RMA-ing both the motherboard and PSU. No desktop PC for me for a while then :p