Official GIGABYTE Forum

AM3 Motherboard + unsupported CPU in BIOS = What ???

JBG

AM3 Motherboard + unsupported CPU in BIOS = What ???
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:33:44 am »
Hi All,

I have a GA-880GA-UD3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3789#sp motherboard rev. 3.1

The latest BIOS version (FGj) supports some AM3+ "Bulldozer" CPU's (e.g. FX-8120)

Okay now here is the deal...

I want to throw in a brand spanking new AM3+ FX-8350/8320 "Piledriver" CPU into the motherboard. The core voltage, memory controller, hypertransport specs etc. should all be the same as supported in the FGj BIOS for the Bulldozer CPU"s.

So what will happen ?!?   Will it even POST/boot ???  

Many thanks !
Jason
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:32:45 am by JBG »

Re: AM3 Motherboard + unsupported CPU in BIOS = What ???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:19:13 am »
Im not sure, but why wouldnt you just upgrade the mobo to take full advantage of the FX? I decided to go from Athlon II to FX because my DFI would only support a 955 at most and only with 1066 memory. It was cheaper to upgrade to the FX setup with 16 gigs or RAM than mess around band-aiding my 790FX board to work with a faster CPU.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:25:58 pm »
If they haven't done so by now, I doubt Gigabyte will be supporting Vishera on the 800 series boards.

Contact tech support and see what they say. ;)

pEACe

JBG

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:44 pm »
Yes that is part of my concern. It took them till May 2012 to support "Bulldozer" on it so that's 7 god damn months after the CPU was released. Made it very apparent it was an ultra low priority for them (even though the motherboard was a mid year 2011 purchase with stated AM3+ support). Very dissapointing of gigabyte really !

I contacted Gigabyte support and they told me:

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. The CPU you want to use is not on the list, we do not recommend you using the CPU with your GIGABYTE motherboard to avoid unexpected system problem or hardware damage. Due to the CPU is just release in the market, we are not able to guarantee anything on the support issue. Our engineer is still proceed the examination procedure. Meanwhile, we will try our best to make it work if the hardware can support the specification. When information is ready, you can refer to our online CPU support list for more information.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:35:32 am »
Tbh, running an 8 core or any 125w cpu on a board with a budget 4+1 power phase is not a good idea. lol

And no, its not disappointing. Its understandable. I wouldn't want to deal with dozens of burnt and smelly rma'd mobos and neither would you.  :P

JBG

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:07:31 pm »
What an absolute waste of time.

Recieved replies from just two people, each taking time out their day to say "I have no idea about an answer to your question but I'd like to post to just say so anyways because on internet forums,.... it's not about about what you know or heck if you know anything at all..., but rather how high your post rating is"

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:23:20 am »
Yes I agree... running that cpu on that mobo would be a waste of time.  :P

kosobai

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:09:32 am »
Tbh, running an 8 core or any 125w cpu on a board with a budget 4+1 power phase is not a good idea. lol

And no, its not disappointing. Its understandable. I wouldn't want to deal with dozens of burnt and smelly rma'd mobos and neither would you.  :P

I think the point is that these 8 series boards are advertised as being compatible with AM3+ processors. Under the circumstances, if Gigabyte is not supporting AM3+ processors on 8 series boards advertised as AM3+ compatible, then they are committing a fraud against the consumer. Equally, if the board is advertised as compatible with 125w TDP processors, yet goes puff bang when one is dropped in, that is another fraud against the consumer. I don't care if it's 4+1 or 8+2 or whatever - either it works or it doesn't. If the hardware is advertised as compatible yet isn't, then it's a fraud. The nomenclature is irrelevant.

JBG

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »

I think the point is that these 8 series boards are advertised as being compatible with AM3+ processors. Under the circumstances, if Gigabyte is not supporting AM3+ processors on 8 series boards advertised as AM3+ compatible, then they are committing a fraud against the consumer. Equally, if the board is advertised as compatible with 125w TDP processors, yet goes puff bang when one is dropped in, that is another fraud against the consumer. I don't care if it's 4+1 or 8+2 or whatever - either it works or it doesn't. If the hardware is advertised as compatible yet isn't, then it's a fraud. The nomenclature is irrelevant.

Thank you and god bless you !  These forums don't deserve you.