Official GIGABYTE Forum

990FXA_UD3 MOTHERBOARD

990FXA_UD3 MOTHERBOARD
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »
Hi i have a 990FXA_UD3 MOTHERBOARD fitted with a AMD FX-4100 Qaud core processor which runs very well,but my problem is when i reinstall windows why does the two sata drives never show up ,i mange to set it up in raid ok by inserting a disc with raid drivers on it but i cant for the devil of me set it up as two seperate drives which is what i want so as to to double boot with ubuntu, i know its looking for drivers but where do find them ,as i have tried every driver i have which are ahci ,but nothing happens and still no drives appear ,so i go back to raid again, any help please Brian.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 990FXA_UD3 MOTHERBOARD
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
Hi there,

from your description it would seem that you have the SATA controller set to RAID mode instead of AHCI Mode.
To check this, go into BIOS and look under Integrated Peripherals. If the SATA controller is set to RAID this is your problem and you will need to switch it to AHCI mode.

If you do want to use RAID mode then you should still be able to install in AHCI mode. The best advice here is to only connect one drive whilst you install the Windows OS. After you have installed the OS then connect your other drive(s).

For ease of use I would recommend running in AHCI mode as I have found that some Linux Distros struggle to work happily when in RAID mode, especially when it comes to recognising the main system disk(s)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: 990FXA_UD3 MOTHERBOARD
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »
Hi there,

from your description it would seem that you have the SATA controller set to RAID mode instead of AHCI Mode.
To check this, go into BIOS and look under Integrated Peripherals. If the SATA controller is set to RAID this is your problem and you will need to switch it to AHCI mode.

If you do want to use RAID mode then you should still be able to install in AHCI mode. The best advice here is to only connect one drive whilst you install the Windows OS. After you have installed the OS then connect your other drive(s).

For ease of use I would recommend running in AHCI mode as I have found that some Linux Distros struggle to work happily when in RAID mode, especially when it comes to recognising the main system disk(s)

Hi thankyou for your reply ,i tried running in AHCI mode with just one drive ,but still no drives are showing ,it appears that this can some times be a problem with this board and some folk are going in to the bios and altering it ,i will try a few more things ,and saddly may try a Asrock board instead ,best wishes Brian