Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte Sniper G1 M3 - no video from card in pci-e 3.0 mode

ar1ur

Gigabyte Sniper G1 M3 - no video from card in pci-e 3.0 mode
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:30:07 pm »
Hello everybody i have a problem which I've been trying to solve for more than a week now and haven't been able to.
I've built a new system consisting of:

1. Gigabyte Sniper g1 m3 mainboard (z77 intel chipset) - new (BIOS f9)
2. Intel i5 3570k ivy bridge processor -new
3. A-data 2x4mb 1600mhz gaming series memory - new
4. Hd7850 2gb Sapphire graphic card ( 2 months old - tested on my previous system on a assus p5e mobo with pci-e2.0 - working flawlessly)
5.Tagan 800W PSU - 2 years old - working flawlessly
6. 1 ssd 60gb corsair and 2x250gb segate barracuda sata drives

My problem is that my card after putting together my rig wasn't producing any video signal in the main pci-e 3.0 slot (fans were spinning at normal rate). I could only use my integrated graphics chip to go into bios and log into windows (my grapics card wasn't even visible in device manager then).
After trying to figure out what is the case i did the obvious which is - take out the card and put it back again, clean the pins (there wasn't much to clean as its a new mobo and almost new card), try a different power connector with the card and try different pci-e slots (2 of them are dedicated for pci-e 3.0 and one for 2.0).
After such troubleshooting i managed to figure out that the card was only working in the 2.0 pci-e slot(also visible in windows device manager then). After going into bios and lowering the pci-e gen to other values i observed that the card was working in the pci-e 3.0 slots when i change the value to 2.0 or 1.0(also visible in windows device manager) but when set to 3.0 or auto - no video.
At this point i wanted to find out what was the cause of this malfunction -the mobo, the card or ... i don't know maybe the i5 3570k proc.
After searching the sapphire forums i found 2 similar threads with similar problems:

1. http://www.sapphireforum.com/showthr...-with-PCIe-3.0 - also no video in pci-e 3.0 slot, also a gigabyte mobo, also i5 3570k -no solution found on the sapphire forums. I contacted the user he still hasn't found the solution to this problem, card works in 2.0 atm - the user suspects incompatibility issues between the MB and the card and not a hardware malfunction.
2. http://www.sapphireforum.com/showthr...ck-Z77-Pro3%29 -also no video in pci-e 3.0 but also not working when pci-e gen set to 2.0, also i5 3570k processor. Card only works in 1.1 mode. I contacted the user he returned the asrock MB an bought an Asus P8Z77-V LK - now card works in pci-e 3.0 slot - BUT ONLY WHEN pci-e gen set to lower than 3.0. No sollution found. The user also suspects incompatibility between Card and MB.

My question is - Does anybody now what is the problem in this situation ? Which component can be the culprit in this configuration. What can i do to test it further (Apart from testing my MB with another 3.0 card or testing my card in another z77 MB - not everybody has friends with high end equipment or wants to pay 30$ to an IT shop to do those tests for me)? Can somone confirm that he has a Sapphire HD7850 2gb card working in 3.0 mode without any issues  in a Sniper g1 M3 motherboard (and if so what proccesor did they have).
And finally can i RMA the mobo if it comes out there is no hardware malfunction but only incompatibility between the MB and the card.

Thx in advance and sorry for the wall of thext but i wanted to provide as much data as possible.

ar1ur

ysw521

Re: Gigabyte Sniper G1 M3 - no video from card in pci-e 3.0 mode
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:00 am »
you can go to bios setup to check the PCI ROM Priority.
if it is EFI, please change it to Legacy to check.
or vice versa.

ar1ur

Re: Gigabyte Sniper G1 M3 - no video from card in pci-e 3.0 mode
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:45:53 am »
you can go to bios setup to check the PCI ROM Priority.
if it is EFI, please change it to Legacy to check.
or vice versa.

sorry but that didn't help. No change whatsoever. Still no video in pci-e 3.0 mode but everything works fine in 2.0 and below