Official GIGABYTE Forum

Question about Gigabyte Motherboards - Fast post/booting with Win8

Hello everyone,

This concerns the Z77 chipset with Intel CPU

The following question I asked on another forum, and some ASUS models where suggested, but I am interested to see what Gigabyte has to offer, if anything like this is available. I am looking for building a computer for someone.

I am interested in Fast post and booting with Win8.

I mean, I want: this fast (or close to it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_PXEpq5ic&t=0m24s

Not this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LbodgChn7w

I personally have a Gigabyte motherboard now, with Win7, and oh god it takes ages to POST, and the GPU does not help.
In my case, (GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 - i7 930 - 6GB of RAM - OCZ Vertex 4 - AHCI mode SATA controller - Win7 64-bit) the time it take for my system from me pressing the power button to when the OS loads is (so no OS load): 27sec

GPU boot: 17sec (This is the big problem)
Windows 7 (to desktop): 13sec
The entire process with Win7: 42sec
Measurements are not scientific, they were where measured by me, so allow 1-2sec of error per measurement.

Now, from my understanding, to get fast POST from the GPU, you need one that support something called GOP, which only works on EUFI BIOS based systems. Does Gigabyte offer that for it's GTX 600 series? How fast does Gigabytes motherboard post and starts windows when under EUFI mode?

Re: Question about Gigabyte Motherboards - Fast post/booting with Win8
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:47:18 am »
Yes, pretty much all UEFI boards are that quick with exceptions of course.

If you notice, the screens stays blank for a good 6 or more second before you even see the logo.  That way it gives the illusion it is faster, when actually it's the same as others who display the logo first, not last.

also, the more things enabled in the BIOS the greater the delay.  Plus the more devices plugged into it delay it even more. same with windows.  the more features you disable the faster it boots, the more you enable plus installation of programs slow it back down.

I find overall the z68 boots roughly the same as Z77 with both having UEFI, same with windows 7 and windows 8.  With the same features and programs installed they boot/run roughly the same speed.

It's just all smoke and mirror gimmicks.  You just mainly want UEFI for the quicker POST screens.  I think it disables checks once it passes the first POST and doesn't recheck unless an error of some sort occurs.

remember, take any demos from manufacturer that is trying to sell you something with a grain of salt, a very large grain.  Just search YouTube for users Z77 boot times and you'll see they all boot roughly the same times.  Just make sure you can see the power button being hit for timing purposes.
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:17:58 am »
I am continuing doing research and the EVGA forum the Admin says that the long period of the black screen is because the GPU doesn't support GOP. If it did, and it will be instant, as demonstrated by Microsoft on Windows 8 boot time from power off state.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ia3zBs42cc
This is the same speed as users with UEFI enabled (and Windows 8 installed CLEANED to enable UEFI utilization (a special partition needs to be made by the OS for this)), with Intel GPU, which is currently the only GPU using GOP.

EVGA says that they are working in updating the GTX 600 series GPU's with GOP. However, it will have to be a firmware update that the users does, as if GOP is set on a GPU, it will no longer be able to boot on a system with a BIOS. I am thinking if later on, graphic card manufacturers, will a have 2 chips, which you pick via jumper. Where one chip will be without GOP, and the other with GOP.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:54:26 am »
yes, the GOP is the big deal with peripherals.  I don't think EVGA can actually do it, it is something the manufacturer does, but EVGA can assist/nudge nvidia to do.  I think the GOP is something similar to an edid on a monitor to get settings/configure  information.  maybe a pseudo driver as well.

Did you see this video as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOAvlncCOw&feature=player_embedded

It seems it's an ASRock supported video, so you can take the results with a grain of salt.

Now I need to find which Intel chips support GOP for my next build I'm working on.  It's hard to find much info on it as UEFI is still new.  Now that Windows 8 is released I'm sure more support will available on newer products.

-=Mark=-
ps, here's a post talking about it a little:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1725316&page=2
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:17:00 pm »
Interesting. Thank you.