Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problems with USB3 header on GA-Z77X-D3H

Rhossydd

Problems with USB3 header on GA-Z77X-D3H
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:00 am »
On 3/7/12 I bought  the above kit and generally the system built with it has performed to expectations.
However I'm running into a regular problems with the onboard USB3 header.

I have been trying to use it with a front panel Asaka AK-ICR-17 USB card reader and hub. More recently, to see if the Asaka panel is faulty, I bought another USB3 card reader front panel which has displayed the same issue, but has allowed me to tie down the problem more accurately.

When first installed the card readers (same behaviour with both) are seen and after Windows installs the necessary drivers, they work correctly. However when re-booted they are no longer available on the system.
On investigation; the second card reader has an LED power light. When first installed this lights up and remains lit.
When the system is first rebooted the power light remains on until the 'starting Windows' splash screen, then goes off and when at the desktop, the reader isn't seen.
On subsequent re-boots the light no longer comes on at all, even when booting into bios.
There are no indications in device manager that there are any hardware problems.

If the reader header cable is removed, the system re-booted, closed down then the header re-connected the same installation loop of being seen, then being lost on re-start happens again.

I'm unclear if this is a motherboard or OS issue, or a combination of both.
I wonder if you've come across this issue before and have any idea of how it can be resolved ?

Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA Z77X-D3H (rev 1.0) latest bios F15
Intel i7 3770k processor (not overclocked)
32gb Ram (Corsair XMS3)
Windows 7 64bit (fully patched and updated)

ta

Re: Problems with USB3 header on GA-Z77X-D3H
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »
Hi Rhossydd,

I have the same problem as yours, but have a GA-Z77-D3H (rev 1.0).
Have you managed to get any further to resolving this problem?
Am also using Win 7 64bit, latest USB3 drivers and F18 bios

Regards

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »
Not really.
One day the header just started to work without any intervention. The system had multiple re-boots, so I think it just sorted itself out.
Elsewhere you might read that since trying to resolve the header issue I've discovered that none of the USB3 ports run at full speed with un-powered devices. Whether this is linked to the header problem I don't know.

Investigating this further suggests it might be connected to the Windows xHCI driver, but my dealer is going to RMA the board under warranty, so I'll see if a new board resolves all my issues or if it's a software problem.

The one thing this has taught me is that Giagbyte have no practical technical support. Requests have taken nearly a week for replies and most have made no sense at all and whoever has replied hasn't read or understood what the problems I'm having are, despite being clearly expressed with all the details they need.
It's the last Gigabyte product I'll be buying.

ta

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »
Thank you for the update -it's not very re-assuring :( regarding Gigabyte.
I have just checked their web site for your board, I wonder what the difference if between rev 1.0 and rev 1.1.
Mine also have a revision to 1.1!
There seem to be quite a few BIOS settings regarding USB, some of which are confusing.

I have two GA-Z77-D3H PCs both with Asaka AK-ICR-17 USB3 card readers.
Could it be the readers??

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »
I wonder what the difference if between rev 1.0 and rev 1.1.
Mine also have a revision to 1.1!
There seem to be quite a few BIOS settings regarding USB, some of which are confusing.
The only documented difference is a changed power supply on the board. 1.1 adds an extra 12v input. Maybe a sign that 1.0 had power issues ?
I have two GA-Z77-D3H PCs both with Asaka AK-ICR-17 USB3 card readers.
Could it be the readers??
It would seem highly unlikely that three different brands of card reader would all have the same fault.

ta

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back.
I probably am wrong, but don't we have exactly the same card readers - AK-ICR-17?

ta

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:04 pm »
Hi Rhossydd,

I'm not sure that you've got your card reader working.

I have been in contact with Asaka in the UK. 
They acknowledge that it is a Win 7 / USB 3 problem.
However they asked me to download a later addition of the card reader firmware for installation and installer S/W.
This has seemed to fix the problem.  They also sent a USB 3 header to USB 2 header cable, so I could connect the card reader into
a USB 2 header install the firmware and then connect the card reader back to the USB 3 header after installation.

Since then my card reader is working fine.

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:31:22 pm »
No, still not working at full speed. I've done the firmware update to the reader, but it made no difference.
It seems to be a generic problem with all the USB3 ports on the motherboard not running at full speed.

I assume it's an issue between Win7 and the drivers, but I can't spare the time to do a full re-install.

Gigabyte have been absolutely no help at all on this. Their tech support is abysmal and it's the last time I'll buy or recommend any product made by them.