Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790XT-UD4P and StarTech ST1000SPEXDP dual ethernet PCI-e 1x.

MY BUILD SPEC (all of this brand new less than 1 week old):

I have an AMD socket AM3, Phenom II, X4 965 Black Edition, quad core 3.4GHz, retail boxed with AMD provided cooling kit.

It has 4 sticks of 2GB, Corsair RAM, matched kit with heat spreaders, for a total of 8GB.

Here's the board I have:
GA-MA790XT-UD4P now with the latest F7 BIOS as flashed from a bootable 128MB Staples USB flash drive
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3010

Here's the dual PCI-e 1x gigabit network cards I want to use:
Dual gigabit ethernet, PCI-e 1x
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-ma790xt-ud4p-startech-37135/

In a case which is a Cooler Master 922 HAF, with a CoolMax 700W power supply.

It has a PNY Verto NVidia dual display (HD15, HDMI, DVI) 16x PCI-e video card in the 16x PCI-e slot on this motherboard.

It has an LG 32x SATA DVD/RW DL.

It has an NZXT Sentry 2, 5 fan, touchscreen fan speed controller (to keep the fans in the case quiet).

It has 4 Western Digital Blue 320GB, 7200 RPM, 8MB cache hard drive I want to run as RAID 10 (but have yet to be RAIDed).

The hard drives are using the Giga-Byte provided SATA cables.
The hard drives are connected on SATA0-3.
The CD-ROM is using the cable that came with it's retail kit on SATA4.
The case front eSATA is on SATA5.
The eSATA bracket is connected to the GSATA 1&2 ports.

THE GOOD NEWS:

This system boots and runs fine.
I can boot Knoppix, OpenSuse, Ubuntu live CDs.
I have run it for several hours with no issue.

THE SITUATION:

I have 3 of these StarTech RealTek RTL8111C PCI-e dual gigabit ethernet cards.

They are brand new, and I know they work because they work completely in an IBM XServer 3400 while seated in one of the PCI-e 8x slots (there are 3). I mean completely because from these exact 64 bit Live CD-ROMs I can boot that IBM server and use the cards with DHCP to surf the web.

These cards are PCI-e 1x. They fit the 3 PCI-e 1x slots on this motherboard.

THE MAJOR ISSUE:

I can run the system as built for hours perfectly well, but if I put any of those 3 StarTech ethernet cards that I know work in any of the PCI-e slots on that motherboard, even the PCI-e 8x secondary slot, I get no video and no beep at post. If I remove the card, the system boots and runs fine. I had this problem with the F5 BIOS the board shipped with as well as the current F7 BIOS I updated to.

I know the cards worked before putting them in this system, and I know they still work fine after each was in this system.

I tried disabling the onboard sound, USB, firewire, RAID and serial port.
I tried locking the slots to 100MHz in case the default of AUTO was somehow wrong.
I have run no overclock, nor do I intend to overclock this build.
When I flashed the BIOS I tried both the failsafe and the optimal defaults.

WHY I WANT THIS TO WORK:

I had hoped to put 3 of these cards into those PCI-e 1x slots to give this system a total of 7 gigabit ethernet ports as I plan on running Linux/BSD virtual machines on this system. Not being able to even boot the system with even one card in the slots would be a MAJOR issue however.

???

Re: GA-MA790XT-UD4P and StarTech ST1000SPEXDP dual ethernet PCI-e 1x.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 09:17:05 am »
I've tried swapping the Nvidia video card for a VisionTek ATI HD 4350 and it makes no difference.

I got a PCI-e 1x compatible video capture card and moved it into each of the 3 PCI-e 1x slots and the system does boot.

Putting only one of those known good StarTech network cards in those slots prevents the system from booting at all.

I have tried disabling virtually all the peripherals I could disable, even the hard disk controllers.

Nothing makes this board boot with these cards, and they all work fine in other systems.

I does not matter if it's one card or more than 1, the board does not seem to work with them for reasons unknown.

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 09:36:48 am »
Hi,
Could suggest you contact tech support on startech/gigabytes website,
Have you tried another make of network card?
Cheers

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:11:08 am »
I tried today with a D-Link DGE-560T and the system booted.

I can't call Gigabyte until tomorrow, so I guess I should prepare to return this board, because I have warranty from the retail location I got it from and I can't wait much longer to get this working.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:29:50 pm »
Having been unable to find a resolution with Gigabyte's telephone help, I returned the motherboard and replaced it with a:

MSI 790FX-GD70
http://www.msicomputer.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&prod_no=1740

Now the cards all work perfectly.

The only change was the motherboard.

My offer to Gigabyte to send them a card to figure this out stands.

Thanks all.