Official GIGABYTE Forum

EP45-UDR3 onboard Gb NIC intermittent with F9 possibly fixed with F11

I think the subject says it all.  I've got one of these mobos running Fedora 11 and SLES 10.2.  It's been running fine for several months, and a couple of days ago the NIC started dropping out.  I've tried all the usual swapping of cables, etc.  Other computers run fine on that infrastructure, no RJ45 jack pins appear to be bent, etc.

I flashed the BIOS from F9 to F11, and now it seems to work again - no drop-outs for 1 day.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Tx, Jim

kangoo

Re: EP45-UDR3 onboard Gb NIC intermittent with F9 possibly fixed with F11
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:40:27 am »
hi, i don't use this model of mb but it's common that new bios fixes some issues
it's good you solved it

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »
By way of update...

It appears that SLES 10.2 is the culprit, not the mobo, the f/w or the NIC!  I installed SLES 10.2 off the DVD and the on-board Gb NIC worked normally, for months.  After I patched SLES 10.2 using YaST2 Online Updater (YOU), the on-board NIC no longer talks (though it has a steady link LED).  I tried a PCI Gb NIC I had buy because VMware ESXi required it - no go.  I stuck in an old 10/100Mb card I had lying around - works perfectly.  (As does Fedora 11 using the on-board NIC).  So, Novell has broken something that was working.  I'll have to see what happens with SLES 11...

kangoo

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:59:45 am »
so linux online updater messed up :(, the same like microsoft sometimes does ;)