Official GIGABYTE Forum

System will not post reliably/ more than once without being left off for a while

Hello,
I built my system together yesterday, in a test setup config , i5 3570k, cooler master 212 evo, 8gb ram. The system posts fine and i can get into the bios and look at everything. But when the system is powered down then power up again, it does NOT post. The only way to make it post again i have found is to just leave the system off for a bit. I have no idea why this is happening, it could be something to do with the small connectors in the mohterboard, im using my cases connectors and cases buttons to turn it on and off and sometimes when i press the power off button it the system just ignores it, and it takes a couple attempts.

If you need more information ask away, any advice would be appreiciated.

P.S i can post with and without graphics card in this manner so it cant be that, the processor is at an okay tempearture in the bios (30c) , the ram is shown in there, everything is pretty much fine, except it just wont post more than once.

Another concern i had was that the power supply makes an odd high pitch noise when the system is powered down but the power supply is still on , could this indicate a faulty power supply? But how else can i know if its the power supply doing this because everything seems to work fine.

Also, i have made a gigabyte support ticket email thing, but its been about 16 hours and it is still 'waiting to be processed' does anyone know if there is a phone number i can call from the uk?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:13:22 am by flobbadob »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

you don't say which motherboard you are running so it's a little difficult to offer any practical advice apart from the obvious....
Are you running the latest BIOS?

A reply from Tech Support can take several days, depending on how busy they get so you will need to be patient on that front. I'm afraid I don't know of a contact number for them either but I doubt they will be there over the weekend.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

right, well i have the gigabyte z77x-d3h really sorry for not mentioning, been using other forums too, i WAS running the bio f10 (board is rev1 btw), but from a suggestion i flashed the latest bios onto the system f17, this was successful but the problem remains.

Right now im basically out of solutions, i cant figure out if its the motherboard or power supply. Basically i get a successful post, and can go into bios and see everything, but after powering down and on again, it wont work, and the board seems to go into a boot loop or something (the cpu fan works in bursts. Only when the system is left powered off for about 10mins will it post again, but the same thing happens.

Is there anything else i could try which ive missed? Tried reseating ram in all the slots and just 1 dimm etc, but no luck. Tried 'discharging' the board (guy suggested) by pressing power button when system was off, but no luck and of course the bios update.

I have managed to find a number from some forum, and it did get me through to gigabyte , not sure if its tech support or anything, but they are only open mon-fri so ill find out soon enough.

What indications would there be if it was the power supply causing this issue also, if you know.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:47:31 pm by flobbadob »

absic

• Bandcamp
What PSU are you using? There have been a few problems with some makes of PSU that I have recently noticed.

Have you made any changes to the BIOS, especially with regard to the RAM settings?
Do you have the same problem if you load Optimized Settings in BIOS?

Although I am running a different Z77 board to you, I have also encountered a few glitches with reboot/cold start & false Overclock warnings happening occasionally, which I have put down to the BIOS version I'm running being a beta version. Not much help but it might be nice to know that you're not alone.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

using a corsair tx550m, which is new. I havent made any changes to ram, and loading defaults makes no difference to it. Everything in the bios is as it should be, ram was running at correct 1600mz (well, 1578 or whatever) and the 1.5v (ish). so i dont think its that causing the problem.

absic

• Bandcamp
This was posted on the forum yesterday: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,10837.0.html and the OP here encountered an issue with his Corsair PSU. Although it is not the same model there could be a connection here.

I am running a Gigabyte Odin 800 Watt PSU on my system so I can't confirm if the PSU is a possible cause or not. The only thing you can try is swapping PSU's if you have access to another one of a different make.

i dont think ill be able to get hold of another power supply sadly, ill just wait for gigabyte support, see if i will rma the motherboard then go from there.

also another thing i wanted to add was that on a successful post it can take about 9 seconds from pressing the power button to getting the splash screen, this is due to the psu not being ready i dont think or something cause the cpu cooler fan starts to spin up but then slows down then resumes to spin up.

Guys, here is a sound recording of the noise i get from the motherboard speaker (which came with my case as an accessory lol)

http://www.mediafire.com/?bvsdrpir3sfaus0

Its a click noise, does anyone know what this means (gigabtye z77x-d3h)