Official GIGABYTE Forum

EFI: Boot option on Win7 64 install not available

EFI: Boot option on Win7 64 install not available
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:30:23 am »
Hi Guys

Hope someone can assist:

I'm trying to install Win7 64 to a existing GPT disk on my GA-X79-UP4(rev. 1.0) Bios Ver : 2 board.

I have ACHI enable on all the SATA connectors and have a LG bluray drive connected up with my install DVD which works just fine.

It boots the Bios version of the Installed but I cannot get the UFI:Boot version available or see it in the Bios.

Is there a reason why the board wont allow or display the EFI boot option?

Thanks
Johan
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:30:56 am by johanbar »

Re: EFI: Boot option on Win7 64 install not available
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:29 am »
Hi Guys

No replies :(  Its clear now that the board does not pick up that the Install DVD is EFI bootable.  I created a USB install stick with the Microsoft USB DVD download tool.  Only now does the board detect a UEFI: USB boot drive.

Finally I thought: I booted it. Try to install to my GPT drive and it says "You cannot install to a GPT drive"  I hit Shift F10 and load \Windows\Panther\setupact.log from the setup media:  and there it is: Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: BIOS

Its still in BIOS boot.  How do you boot this thing in EFI ??

I should have bought Asus :( :(

Re: EFI: Boot option on Win7 64 install not available
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:29 am »
Hi there

It seems this is an issue with a copied install disc. Even from the original .iso available from Microsoft, the board does not detect the EFI option for boot media.

I proceeded to make a USB Win64 boot stick - now the EFI option is available. When you boot this - it still boots to Bios and not EFI. (very poor)

I then used this post http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045 to force a EFI boot. This works. Only to run into other issues.