Official GIGABYTE Forum

New Build: Freezes at BIOS then restarts constantly. Help!!

Owatch

New Build: Freezes at BIOS then restarts constantly. Help!!
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:54:55 pm »
I've already asked around on other forums but everyone seems to be ignoring my thread specifically. So I decided to go to Gigabyte's forum and ask here considering that I've got a Gigabyte motherboard.

First of all, let me fill you in on the components I am running.

I've got a Xeon E3-1230 V2 (ivy bridge) cpu running on a   GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard. The processor is cooled by a corsair H60 liquid cooling unit.

I've got a 450 watt power supply and a GTX 660 SC on the board, 12Gb of ddr3 1333mhz RAM. (All the same brand) in 3 Dimm slots.

I've got a 500Gb corsair hard drive.

The issue:

Every time I start the system, the fans start running, and a single beep sounds. (Manual says it indicated everything is running correctly)

Right after the beep, it loads up the BIOS screen, hit delete to enter so and so...ect    

The problem is I cannot actually select anything with the keyboard. Nothing responds. (I've tried all USB ports)

A couple seconds later, the system simply stops. The fans stop spinning, the monitor goes black. And a couple seconds later it starts again. And the same thing happens in a loop.

Please help me here.

EDIT: Oh &*^$#&^$, I better not have this so called infamous Z68 Boot Loop...........
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:22:14 pm by Owatch »

Re: New Build: Freezes at BIOS then restarts constantly. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:10 am »
Your problem is two-fold.

first, you are running a new Ivy Bridge processor on a older Sandy Bridge motherboard (BIOS update may be needed to support your processor)

second, your E3-1220 v2 had no video, so unless you have a discrete video card it won't display any video.

a third less likely issue is you have an E3 Xeon series (server) processor on a i series desktop board.  It should work, but can't guarantee it 100%.  Someone else may be able to verify.

A fourth possibility may be ECC memory, if you bought it, isn't supported on desktop motherboards.

-=Mark=-
ps. please post your full system specs on your current build for further help.
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin

Owatch

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:15:27 pm »
The motherboard was checked a long time in advanced to make sure it ran the E3-1230V2 Xeon chip.

I even read a review from Amazon.com's page that warned of a BIOS update needed to run the 1230 V2 chip.
The CPU support list from Gigabyte's page on the motherboard listed it as a compatible motherboard.

Now onto the second point you had about this BIOS. Your probably correct, it does need a BIOS update.

BUT!   Like I said, the BIOS does not respond, I cannot do anything. And it shuts down shortly after.

Reviews from Amazon.com warned of a BIOS update needed. HOWEVER, the person was able to load their OS and at minimum access their BIOS without freezes and restarts.

You also said that my Xeon processor is running on a desktop board. But then why would it be even listed in the compatible processors?
Plus, it is similar to i7 chips. Not that much of a difference.

I do not have ECC memory.

I also do have a discrete video card, I listed this in my original post. I have a GTX 660 SC. I would not be able to see anything without it. And the motherboard would have given me the error beep for no video had it not been present or working. It did not.

Full System Specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2
Graphics card/ video card: Nvidia GTX 660 SC
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X68MA-D2H-B3
RAM: Corsair XMS3 12Gb. DDR3 @ 1333mhz
PSU: Corsair 450 watt
Hard drive: 500Gb Segate mechanical hard drive. Speed : 7200RPM

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:18:48 pm by Owatch »

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »
Hopefully you can borrow a Sandy Bridge processor to make a BIOS update.  Other than that there is no easy fix.  You need a BIOS that supports your chip or it won't boot.

I see newegg selling a couple of CPUs for under $50 and may be the cheapest/quickest way to get things done.

otherwise, you'll need to call Gigabyte tech support to see what they can do to update the BIOS.  If it is soldered-in (which gigabyte usually does), then you'll need to send in the board.

check your local computer store and see if they can update the BIOS for you.

or you can return the board and get a 7 series board that are designed for Ivy Bridge. (my suggestion, I always suggest to use all current technology boards, mixing different technologies just has too much room for failure)

You will need BIOS F10 for core i Ivy Bridge, and E3-sandy bridge support.  The E3-Ivy Bridge isn't listed on Gigabytes CPU Support page for your board.  I assume it will work, but see no official support.
Lian-Li PC-Q06 GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A8-3870K 8GB (2x4GB) G. Skill DDR3-1866 CL8 HD 6550D Antec 450 Platinum (EA-450)

Danger Den Torture Rack Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 i7-2600K 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 XFX 6870 Double-D Sparkle 700Watt 80Plus Platin