Official GIGABYTE Forum

New to Gigabyte boards need memory help

New to Gigabyte boards need memory help
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:11 pm »
This is my first Gigabyte board (EP45-UD3R) which I bought to replace a failing 680i LT. I have not yet installed it and was hoping to get a few questions aswered. My first question is related to the memory channels. Every other board I have ever installed memory channel 1 would be on dimm slots 1, 3, and memory channel 2 would be on dims 2, 4. This is not how its explained in the manual. Its described as channel 1 being dims 1,2 and channel 2 as dims 3, 4. Is this truely how it works on Gigabyte boards, I do not want to take a chance on time wasted installing improperly. My second question is also memory related. I currently will be using OCZ 4-5-4-16 PC6400 1gig sticks which I do not expect to have issues, however I want to go with faster ram later on. I'm looking to step up to to 1066mhz ram, but the QVL has very few of the memory vendors I'm used to buying. I'm looking for a 4 gig set, preferably 2 x 2g dual channel memory with decent timings, that will be compatible with this board. The only sticks I see on the list that I would even consider is the Corsair and those puppies are expensive. I generally stick with either OCZ, or G.Skill sticks as they have provided me the best reliability. Does anyone have any suggests for ram that wont break the bank. I am willing to venture into new manufactures as long as I know they will work. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pottypete

Re: New to Gigabyte boards need memory help
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:01:47 am »
Hi,
If you follow the manual for memory installation you won't go wrong.
memory on the qvl has been tested to work with the mobo
the qvl is not exhausted with all vendors available, but do a quick search for other users to what worked for them,
cheers

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:27:45 pm »
Thanks Pottypete, I double checked the manual and I had misread it initially as it did say to use slots 1 and 3 for matched memory. My OCZ ram booted with no issues and has bee set to all the correct timings. The only issue I have with memory on the qvl is that most of the ram they tested are on modules that are not readily available at most retailers. After reading through tireless postings from reviews both the mother board and memory vendors, I have concluded that most people just don't know to set the times to make 1066 ram work. Althought some manufactures have legitemate issues working on this board, most are due to Id10t errors on the users part. I think I'm just gonna go with what most have commented on as working and hope I can get the settings to work. At least if the new ram doesn't work, I will have this older stuff to go back to if it doesn't.

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:23 pm »
Hi,
Whats working for them should work ok for you m8
And you got a fallback set
Cheers