Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GTX670-OC Issues with not posting

Gigabyte GTX670-OC Issues with not posting
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »
Hi All,

Hopefully someone has an idea about this one for me...

PC Specs: i7-3820, Gigabyte X79-UD Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB, 16GB RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU.

Okay so the problem I am facing is about every 2 out of 3 times, sometimes more, my PC does not POST correctly, when this happens I get the error code of 1 Long beep 2/3 Short beeps which indicates an issue with the graphics card or monitor not initiating correctly(Same sound occurs if you have no card installed at all). The other times the PC POSTs correctly and loads into windows, I can then play games on Ultra, the card doesn't really miss a beat once I'm into windows.

So logically you would think there is an issue with the graphics card right? Well if I put my card in any other PC it POSTs 100% of the time. So maybe the motherboard? Any other graphics card works perfectly with no issues, always loads fine.

Other things I have tried is as follows:
  • Swap the power supply with another, same issue
  • Swap my RAM around to only 1 stick, and other ram from another PC, same issue
  • Tried other PCI-E slots on my board, same issue
  • Upgraded the motherboard BIOS firmware, same issue
  • Cleared CMOS, same issue
  • Gave it a strong talking to, same issue

So to me it now looks like the only incompatibility is the graphics card and that motherboard in that combination, the parts work perfectly individually as far as I can tell. Maybe the graphics card said something nasty about the motherboards sister and now they are fighting??? And the only thing I have not tested is another CPU in my machine as I do not have access to another 2011 chip.

Is there anything else you can suggest or have seen similar problems like this before? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Sigtran

Re: Gigabyte GTX670-OC Issues with not posting
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:21 pm »
Did you try your card in some other computer?

Also, if you have OC'ed the CPU/memory, please return everything in BIOS to defaults - just to rule the possibility out.