Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Z77 fans come on for 1/2 second then quit.

rfc143

GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Z77 fans come on for 1/2 second then quit.
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:56 am »
GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Z77 mobo. Press power switch. fans and lights in case come on for 1/2 second, then nothing. Power supply known to be good. Ideas?

ysw

Re: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Z77 fans come on for 1/2 second then quit.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:23 am »
you may check it without chassis.
how many memory modules you installed? just try one to check

rfc143

Re: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH Z77 fans come on for 1/2 second then quit.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:42:36 pm »
Tried it outside the chassis, and just momentarily "shorted" the "pwr" pins on the dip header that goes to the case switch. We tried NO ram, but not one stick. Also, tried resetting cmos (bios), but an email back from gigabyte says to remove the battery for 15-20 minutes (we only did it for maybe a minute). They also said try one stick (although I'm not sure where that will go...what if it works with one but not two?).
I'm hopeful it has something to do with resetting the bios, because after we did, we actually got it to boot to the bios on two occasions. It was very flaky though, and every time we reset the bios, it did something slightly different...on for a second then off, on for longer; on then off then on...weird stuff.

I have the battery out now and will leave it out for several hours, then reset the bios, short the battery contacts so that all remnants of voltage are gone gone gone, then re-try it.

If no go, I think we might be in RMA territory.