GA-Z77X-D3H (rev. 1.0): Can't enter BIOS
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:23:43 pm »
CPU: i5-3570k, never overclocked
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB, ST500DM002
DVDRW: Samsung, model unknown
Graphics Card: Evga GTX570
PSU: Corsair HX850

I  have had problems with this motherboard since I bought it.  In an attempt to fix the initial errors I updated the old BIOS that was version 5 or something to F16. I also formatted the harddrive and changed from GPT to MBR.  I turned off EFI. And installed all latest drivers.

First time I installed windows 7 I did not have any Windows problems, I crashed and got blue screens but those were not windows fault. Then I did what I mentioned above. The crashes and blue screens that I could recognize were gone.

But instead now Windows update is broken. I get lots of game crashes.

I get a new blue screen at times, Memory Management I think. I am running them RAM at the normal clock speed or lower than the normal clock speed. I ran memtest to 120% (on 4 different instances at the same time) and tested almost all parts of the memory that was available. Because the amount of memory windows uses is not static fine tuning it to test all memory is really difficult. At least I am 95% convinced there is nothing wrong with the memory stick.

The microphone still works poorly, the microphone volume is still really low. Maxed mic boost will create a really loud noise that hurts the ears on all ends of the conversation. Tested with two different microphones that work as they should on one other computer.

And the BIOS freezes when I try to enter it.  Q-Flash with End key freezes.  F12 freezes. Del key freezes.
I can no longer boot from the DVD player.

I have tried entering the BIOS after disconnecting the HDD and DVD player (nothing else is connected except GFX card). Does not work.
I have tried Resetting CMOS and start with optimal default settings. Does not work.

Currently I am trying to make a installation disk of a USB stick.

Reason I went from GPT to MBR is that I lost my windows key and ran a windows loader. Nothing wrong with the windows loader on other computers I have though. I managed to find the receipt and want to try installing windows with the key on a GPT harddrive and turn on EFI in the BIOS again.  Hopefully EFI is on already due to CMOS reset.

It is getting really frustrating since this has been going on for a couple of years now. If I cannot find a fix for this I have to get a new motherboard.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:04:11 pm by Frendh »

TP

Re: GA-Z77X-D3H (rev. 1.0): Can't enter BIOS
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:45:50 am »
Z77x-d3h (f16) owner reporting in,

Have you tried running memtest with only one strip of ram in it just to be safe?

Also there is a way to flash the primary bios from the secondary, I thought it was alt+<f key> (I dunno which).

Sorry if this info is useless  :( .

Frendh

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:45:25 pm »
It is 1x8GB stick.
Thanks, I will try and find out how to flash from the secondary memory. I did not see anything in the manual the first time I looked, since I only looked in the hardware sections where they display the pins and such.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:48:46 pm »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.