Official GIGABYTE Forum

AHCI occasional bios "disk read error"

shikae

AHCI occasional bios "disk read error"
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »
Did a new win7 pro 64bit install on my machine. Did the proper steps of enabling AHCI in the bios prior to install. I did not load additional drivers during win7 installation. I can get windows to start normally, install programs, etc. with AHCI enabled

Corsair force GT 240gb SSD hd with GA-X58A-UD3R - FH bios version

I sometimes get a "disk read error" during bios startup, after the message "verifying dms pool...." This especially happens when I change/swap out my data hard drives on other mobo ports. Windows and mobo sees the additional internal HD's most of the time. Then sometimes I get the error message and can't get into windows unless I clear the CMOS, boot in IDE or modify bios settings. Windows boots fine in IDE mode.. but I would prefer to run in AHCI

Any ideas? Should I be updating the intel ports or did I do something incorrect during the win7 installation? Most everything I read said I didn't need to install additional drivers for AHCI, if I enabled AHCI prior to installtion.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:34:57 pm by shikae »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: AHCI occasional bios "disk read error"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:34:29 am »
Did you install the Intel drivers after you installed the OS? If not, then you should install the Intel INF Chipset Driver and also the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. You can get these from the download page here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#dl

If you have already installed these drivers and are still having an issue, have you checked that the Firmware is up to date on the SSD?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

shikae

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:40:19 pm »
I  just installed the intel chipset driver successfully.

THe rapid storage tech driver gave me an error upon installation- "your system does not meet the minimum requirements" I assume this was because I was running in IDE mode.. tried changing bios setting to AHCI.. then got the familiar message of "disk read error- ctrl+alt+del to restart" before windows could load. I'll try a few restarts and clearing the cmos to see if that enables me to boot in ahci mode and get into windows..

I have the latest drivers installed on the SSD (it shipped with the newest version.. 5.03)

Am I encountering problems because I didn't load the intel drivers during windows installation? Even though AHCI mode was enabled prior to installation?

shikae

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:59:53 am »
update-

1)completely cleared cmos by taking out battery (bios time was reset). changed bios settings to ahci (intel port). was unable to boot into windows.
2)went back into bios- changed gsata ports from ide to ahci as well. booted normally into windows
3)was now able to install the intel rapid storage mgr

Main OS ssd hd is on intel port. I have one 3tb data hd on intel port. Another 3tb data hd on one of the gsata ports..

For AHCI mode should I change every port to AHCI including esata for example?

If I add/change future data HD's am I going to have this problem of not being able to load windows?

FWIW- sounds like same issue as this guy DJsomething
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6721.15.html

shikae

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:49 am »
another update:

same problem happened again.. "disk read error" after "reading dmi pool" during startup before windows. very frustrating

shikae

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:05:29 am »
please help... should I reinstall windows and load the drivers during installation?