Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1 Sniper M3 rev 1.0 Uefi Oprom V legacy settings for WIn 8

Graceman

G1 Sniper M3 rev 1.0 Uefi Oprom V legacy settings for WIn 8
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »
I have a 64 bit version of Win 7 running on a OCZ revo drive 3 board and then used the upgrade disk for windows 8 and it failed tried to reinstall windows 8 and loaded driver and i got this message

the selected disk has an MBR partition table, On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.?

In bios there are settings under CSM support which ask which Oprom to boot or which one first UEFI or Legacy some internet searches suggest i tweak my bios to load MBR but that is not what the message says it says I need GPT

The strange thing is Windows 7 seemed to working well.

Can anyone please help?

Antec NSK4000B II Midi Tower Case
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 rv 1.0
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK PSU  CX430V2  
OCZ RVD3-FHPX4-240G 240GB RevoDrive3 PCI-E SSD

Alcool DC-LT 12v Ceramic Pump
Alcool Rvoir for DC-LT Pump
Alcool DC-LT Pump Top
EK Supremacy CSQ Univ Full

Graceman

Re: G1 Sniper M3 rev 1.0 Uefi Oprom V legacy settings for WIn 8 MBR issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:14:58 pm »
 This is message i get from Windows when Windows 8 says it cannot load window 8 into the Windows 7 64 bit partition.

"Windows cannot install to any partition because the selected disk has an MBR partition table, On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.?"

This is the reply from OCZ Forum about the issue.

"This is a motherboard BIOS setting issue. You need to find the setting in the motherboard's BIOS that force MBR installs rather than auto. You can also call up the motherboard boot menu during Post and select the device to boot from that contains your Win8 install that is not labeled as UEFI. Also note that the Revo 3 does not support GPT so MBR is the correct option to use."

So OCZ state that its a bios issue and that the problem lies with the setting for the device i used to install Windows 8.

I installed Windows 7 32 bit from a usb stick then went on to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit from the same usb stick plugged into the USB port on front of PC case.
Windows 8 was installed form a cd in the DVD drive which is plugged into my sata 2 port running in ACHI mode i think. so if you take the reply from OCZ I have to change something in the bios to make the dvd drive install in MBR mode anyone got a clue what this is ?

I think we beginning to get to the end of the problem now except for my mouse still does not work.
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram

Alcool DC-LT Pump Top

Graceman

Re: G1 Sniper M3 rev 1.0 Uefi Oprom V legacy settings for WIn 8
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:49 pm »
It seems that withe the g1 Sniper M3 board, the DVDdrive is set up by default to run as UEFI where as the USB drives are legacy MBR type.
The boot priority shows actually two DVD drives both the Uefi & the legacy type changing the boot sequence to the legacy type now allowed me to install Windows 8 onto my new drive this must also be true for Windws 7

The thing that caused the issue was I had loaded windws 7 from the USB device so could not understand why Windows 8 would not load.

The manual has very poor information on this and for CSM & Netstack none at all.
I7/3770K
16Gb Csair Vengance Ram

Alcool DC-LT Pump Top