Official GIGABYTE Forum

Power Guzzlers

Power Guzzlers
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:33:23 pm »
Hello,

i've bought a GA 965P DS4 (rev 3.3) so my question is in relation to that and my graphics card (HD 4890)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2288#fq

theres a PCIe 12v power slot in the top right near the ram slots, the manual says that it supplies extra power to the two PCIe x16 slots, depending on system requirements.

i'm guessing it's used when crossfiring two graphics cards, but im not sure and cant seem to find my answer online so i sign up to ask a question. my question is probley a silly one, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

what affect would it have pluging power into this socket on my single HD 4890 ? is it safe to do or is it not recomended.

thanks in advance,
Darren.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Power Guzzlers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »
Hi there,

the extra power connector is usually only required if you are running two GPU's in crossfire. It shouldn't be needed with only one graphics card being used but, if you find that the system won't play properly then you may need to plug a power lead in to this socket.

If you plug a power lead in it shouldn't cause a problem but the system will draw a little more power overall from the PSU.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.