Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H77-D3H Memory problem

GA-H77-D3H Memory problem
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:11 am »
Hello to all,
I'll get right to it: I installed a new cooler (NH-D14 ... yes, I know, overkill), and when I tried starting my PC I got continuous short beeps, blank screen and after 20 beeps it shuts down and after a few seconds auto restarts. I tried every combination of RAM but the only time it works is when I put a single stick of RAM in the MB. I tried XMP profile and without, I tried disabling channel interleaving and rank interleaving, I CLR CMOS and returned to factory settings. Nothing.
Is it possible that I broke the MB when I installed the cooler (I tried being very careful)? Even the CPU temps aren't great in idle: 30-35 Celsius, but I think I have 23-24 Celsius room temperature.

CPU: i5 3470
Memory: Kingston HyperX Red 2X4GB
Graphics: MSI GTX 660 2GB
PSU: Seasonic G550

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-H77-D3H Memory problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:34 am »
Hi there,

You could have damaged the pins in the CPU socket when you removed the old cooler, especially if it was stuck to the CPU and you had to pull/twist it to get it off. This is where I would look first, especially if everything was working fine before.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:50:08 am »
OK I'll do that. I hope I have enough paste left in the syringe that came with the cooler.

With one stick of RAM, everything seems to be OK.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:51:39 am by BuGabriel »

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:16 am »
No, no pins bent:

Tried putting the second RAM, hoping in a miracle ... same thing (beeping).

SRY for double posting.

I'm gonna try and put the stock cooler back on. I'm thinking maybe there is a problem with the backplate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:11:25 am by BuGabriel »

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:06 am »
Well I put the stock cooler back on and guess what .... IT WORKS! With the stock cooler it has no problem booting with 2 sticks of RAM.
The only explanation is that the backplate is pressing on the PCB wires that run from the CPU to the RAM ... or could it be something more sinister like condensation between the backplate and the MB.
Ideeas?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
Hi again,

silly question but you are using the Intel backplate for the cooler and not the one for an AMD motherboard?

If you are using the Intel plate are you installing it the correct way? There should be some rubber protectors on the side that sits against the motherboard ( you don't need the rubber insert in the middle for your motherboard) and you need to make sure that the two notches are in the correct position also. Check here for more info: http://www.noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_d14_manual_en.pdf

I used to use the Noctua NH-D14, before I switched to water cooling, and never had an issue due to the backplate.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »
Yes, yes and yes. I did mount it correctly.
I tried mounting the Noctua cooler again and putting the case on its sides but the same thing happened :(

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:08 pm »
Could you post a couple of pictures of the back of your motherboard with and without the cooler mount in position? We might be able to see if something looks wrong with the motherboard or mounting plate.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:59 pm »
Here's some wider ones. I'll get back to you with some more detailed ones.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:16:42 am »
Well, I tried testing the MB out of the case and it's definitely the MB fault, because even the slightest pressure from the backplate and/or spacers would end up in a beeping start. I don't think that I tightened the mounting screws too much on the MB the first time I did it. Even so, if it's so flimsy why bother saying that it's ”Military Grade”?!?!
I reverted to the stock cooler again, but even with this I had problems getting it to work with 2 sticks of RAM. I'm not even bothering to open up the case again till I get an upgrade or maybe I'll send the MB to service.