Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77X-DH3 wakes randomly from sleep

GA-Z77X-DH3 wakes randomly from sleep
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:31:30 pm »
I have this peculiar problem where my GA-Z77X-DH3 board wakes randomly when I put the system to sleep in Windows 7. The machine wakes, then turns off by itself after 30 seconds (without user intervention). While this is happening, the display remains in standby mode. I am not observing any hard drive activity via the LED either. PWM fans are going at full speed. These sporadic wake events may occur hours after the machine was put to sleep. Sometimes 4AM in the morning (the bastard wakes me too ;) ).

What's also interesting, the machine often fails to wake properly when I tap the keyboard after the aforementioned wake event. Each key press simply lights up the Num Lock and Caps Lock LEDs and system doesn't respond. Other times, keyboard taps will turn the system on, but causes the machine to reboot. In rare cases, a keyboard tap wakes the machine, but there is no display, and I'm forced to hard reset the machine.

- There is no pattern to these random wake incidents. This happens maybe once a week.
- The machine is connected to a gigabit router, but Wake on LAN in BIOS is disabled. Sometimes I do see the odd LAN activity when in sleep mode, though.
- I tested the power switch with a multimeter and a scope; the switch contact is completely open when not depressed.
- MemTest doesn't show signs of obvious memory failure.
- I have cleared the CMOS (by shorting the jumper on the board) a few times to mitigate this problem and other UEFI problems.
- Sometimes I leave the iPhone4 plugged in the USB when putting the machine to sleep, but the problem persists with or without the phone connected.

But for the most part, the machine will sleep and I can wake it normally.

(I can't say I'm totally impressed with this board. I have some other unrelated complaints about this board's UEFI boot capability, maybe I'll leave that for another thread.)

Specs:

Board: GA-Z77X-DH3 (rev. 1.0)

BIOS: F16 (2012/10/24)

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)

CPU: i7-3770 (non-K version)

RAM: G.Skill-NT, DDR3 1600, F3-1600C11D-16GNT 16 GB (2 x 8GB kit)
This dual channel RAM pair operates in 1333 mode. In BIOS, the Extreme Memory Profile setting is "disabled", and Performance Enhance is "normal".

Video: ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DirectCUII PCIe

TV: Leadtek DTV 2000 H

Port 0 & 1: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001-1CH1 (RAID1)
Port 2: Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS-65YGA0 (Boot)
Port 3: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-216 1.06

USB Peripherals:
- Lenovo Keyboard
- Logitech G500
- iPhone4 charging
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:02:52 am by Tachikoma »

ysw

Re: GA-Z77X-DH3 wakes randomly from sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:25 am »
you may try to remove your TV card and check if it wakes up randomly.

bobvg

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:55 am »
Hi, I have the same motherboard with an i5-3570,  I get the same exact error.  Was the original poster ever able to get a solution for this?

My other system specs:
GeForce 660 Ti
Samsung SSD 840 Pro
Audigy2 ZS soundcard
8GB Kingston 1600 ram
MS Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Has Gigabyte ever been able to recreate this issue?  Please help as it's so annoying to have the system go on and off all by itself!

Thanks,
Bob

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:26 am »
Hi. I think I have found a solution to this issues. From memory, I think I did the following:

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings (for the selected plan) -> Change advanced power settings -> Sleep -> Allow Wake Timers -> Disable

ex58

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:59:30 am »
And... Disable  'Wake on LAN' in the BIOS.
 ;D