Official GIGABYTE Forum

Doing my first build ever, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H won't start up on the test boot.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Bandcamp
Well that doesn't look too good, does it?

Do you have a motherboard speaker that you can attach to the Front Panel header to hear any POST beeps?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

GFroun

Unfortunately I don't,  I used the paper clip method on my PSU and the fan started spinning just fine, but a few guys on a different forum told me that just because the PSU works with the paper clip doesn't mean it's supposed to work with the motherboard, that gives me hope and I just have to try and get my hands on another power supply because I'd rather that be the problem then having to ship the motherboard back and wait for a replacement.

I don't think I short circuited anything though, at least I hope not.... the UD5H has an anti surge protection, and even at that, It's not like I wasn't cautious.

absic

• Bandcamp
Yes, it could be an issue with the PSU & had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. The motherboard (not Gigabyte) wouldn't power up with a new 1200 Watt unit. Tried everything, eventually swapping power units and everything then worked fine.

In the meantime, other things to check would be the CPU socket, to make sure there are no damaged pins and that the CPU is mounted correctly.

Check that the CPU Cooler is also mounted properly and not causing a short. Best way to do this would be to remove the cooler and use the stock Intel one whilst testing things out. Remember to clean off the thermal paste from the processor and reapply some new paste each time you remove/replace the cooler.

GFroun

Yes, it could be an issue with the PSU & had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. The motherboard (not Gigabyte) wouldn't power up with a new 1200 Watt unit. Tried everything, eventually swapping power units and everything then worked fine.

In the meantime, other things to check would be the CPU socket, to make sure there are no damaged pins and that the CPU is mounted correctly.

Check that the CPU Cooler is also mounted properly and not causing a short. Best way to do this would be to remove the cooler and use the stock Intel one whilst testing things out. Remember to clean off the thermal paste from the processor and reapply some new paste each time you remove/replace the cooler.

Thank you for this, really.

I had previously tried using the stock cooler, although not mounted, just plugged it in since I didn't want to remove the heatsink. I'll update with more info when I get a new PSU and I;ll definitely check the cpu in the meantime.

Also, any advice on how to remove the thermal paste properly? I don't have any cleaners besides 70% rubbing alcohol and liquid peroxyde... would nail polish remover work? Not sure if 99% alcohol can be found in Canada.

absic

• Bandcamp
Usually I find a piece of kitchen towel is enough as the thermal paste is quite pliable and just wipes off.

The reason I suggest using the stock cooler, is the ease with which it can be mounted and unmounted for testing purposes. Once the system is up and running, then use the 3rd party cooler as any issues with it will  be obvious.

najiro

Woah.. that doesn't look good. It's too fast.. Even if you put the speakers, I think it won't even beep... yeah I agree that you should check out the socket and examine the pins.. I hope all the pins are intact. If it's the power supply, maybe your can get a spare somewhere. You said the PSU is used right? Well, I guess you should ask the previous owner too.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

GFroun

Woah.. that doesn't look good. It's too fast.. Even if you put the speakers, I think it won't even beep... yeah I agree that you should check out the socket and examine the pins.. I hope all the pins are intact. If it's the power supply, maybe your can get a spare somewhere. You said the PSU is used right? Well, I guess you should ask the previous owner too.

The previous owner said it worked just fine, but then again, his motherboard wasn't the same as mine, I'm going to my cousins tomorrow to try his PSU and I'll update you guys on what's happening. Also, I'll check the CPU sometime later tonight and let you know if there are anything wrong with the pins.

GFroun

Thanks for all the help guys, I went to my cousins place and used his power supply, everything worked fine, bios screen showed up, fans started spinning. Tried it with the graphics card on and 2 sticks of ram, everything worked.

So, conclusion: Power supply was bad, I had the EVGA Supernova 650W 80 Gold Plus, I'll be buying a new power supply and update you guys once again if it works.

najiro

Thanks for all the help guys, I went to my cousins place and used his power supply, everything worked fine, bios screen showed up, fans started spinning. Tried it with the graphics card on and 2 sticks of ram, everything worked.

So, conclusion: Power supply was bad, I had the EVGA Supernova 650W 80 Gold Plus, I'll be buying a new power supply and update you guys once again if it works.

wow! what a weird turn of events. you should RMA the EVGA PSU. Anyway, glad the troubleshooting is over.  :)
Good luck finding a good PSU.
WordPress Site Builder - Content Writer - Economist - PC Hardware Enthusiast - Gamer - Foodie

GFroun

wow! what a weird turn of events. you should RMA the EVGA PSU. Anyway, glad the troubleshooting is over.  :)

The EVGA psu was bought used off (he said it was barely used and practically brand new) of someone else, I don't have a proof of purchase. I went ahead and bought a Cooler Master Silent pro M2, i did a test boot with it and got into the bios screen so everything works just fine, going to finish up everything today.

Also, I have never RMA'd anything before so I don't know how the process works.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/

The EVGA psu was bought used off (he said it was barely used and practically brand new) of someone else, I don't have a proof of purchase. I went ahead and bought a Cooler Master Silent pro M2, i did a test boot with it and got into the bios screen so everything works just fine, going to finish up everything today.

Did try the EVGA at your cousins too make sure the PSU is really bad.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

najiro

EVGA warranty is transferable the last time I checked their site. You can check this page for info:
EVGA RMA Process - United States / Canada

I dunno if that has a 5-year or 3-year warranty. You would need to verify that from the CS. Call their support here: (888) 880-3842